News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This weekend!

Started by FullChoke, April 12, 2013, 03:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Dudes,

I get to make one of my favorite hunts with a fantastic turkey hunting buddy this weekend! Surehuntsalot and I will go nose-to-snood with the most arrogant and finicky feathered bags of bad attitude that I have had the joy to hunt in a long time. These are private-land birds that act like public-land 4 year old gobblers on the last weekend of the season. To indicate how tough they are, Steve has not put a bead on one this year yet! And it ain't him.

Let me tell y'all a quick story. He, another hunter and I slipped down to a food plot one afternoon hoping to set up for an afternoon hunt. The plot is situated on the end of a road running along the base of some steep hills. We got to the plot and called with several different calls and finally got a Sonic Boom of a gobble from half way up the hills. Steve and I looped back leaving the other guy at the plot. We started sneaking up up the hill from a different direction so as not to alert the gobbler. As he had not gobbled since he responded to the box call at the plot, we got as close as we dared and didn't really want to call until we were in position. I asked Steve if his cell phone had coverage out there and it did. I asked him to call his buddy at the plot and have him yelp real loud with a box call to see if the gobbler would answer. He got the guy on the phone and within about 15 seconds we hear his box call yawking down the hill. Right on freaking cue, guess who gobbles in response and is about 125 yards away? We set up a few yards from each other and got him completely stirred up, gobbling at every sound we generated, but he would not budge an inch. We eventually heard him fly up to roost and we then dragged our whooped butts down off of the ridge with nothing to show for, but a story.

I can hardly wait!

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

you know I'm looking forward to it,the weekend hunt with Norman (Fullchoke) has fast become a ritual that I look forward to as much as turkey season itself.

I sure wish that there was other members that was close enough to have more memories
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

I am willing to relocate if I can hunt with you guys :funnyturkey:
I am off next Saturday and looks like I am going to have to recruit some back up to pull that old gobbler in for his death sentence!

Get em :z-guntootsmiley:

surehuntsalot

I wound up having to work saturday(can you imagine),so we set the hunt up for sunday,but Mother Nature had other plans.
Going to try for next weekend providing I don't have to work.

Eric are you serious about hunting with us???
it's not the harvest,it's the chase