OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

High pitch in mouth call

Started by JB10, April 11, 2013, 10:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB10

Ok i have a question for some of the experts. Sometimes when I am using my mouth call it will be sounding just fine and then all of a sudden hit an extremely high pitch. Sometimes it is just for a second but sometimes I have to reposition the call several times to make it sound better. I have always thought that when this happened it was because the reeds were stuck together but I am starting to question that now. I think it is something to do with technique. Any answers and advice would be helpful.

turkeykiller22

What kind of cut are yelping on? A lot of times with certain cuts, like a batwing, the top reed will sometimes get flipped over backwards... happens to me a lot too.
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

GobbleNut

I agree it depends on the cuts in the call, but turkeykiller hit it on the head in suggesting that it could be because one of the "flaps" in the cut reed is folding over and sticking.  Another possible cause is blowing too hard, or forcing too much air over the reed, causing it to fold and stick at times.

As the reed latex becomes fatigued over time, this problem can get worse and finally make the call unreliable.  Sometimes you can cut the leading edge off of the flap to shorten it slightly and this will alleviate the problem.  Doing that may also change the sound of the call, though.  However, sometimes it changes the sound for the better. 

As I have said before, never toss a call that does not suit you without trying to make it sound better by modifying the reed cuts first.