turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot some Win XX 3.5 #4's today

Started by Tom Foolery, April 10, 2013, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

The weather was warm, high 70's/low 80's but the wind was right in my face.  I tried to time my shots between gusts with the Win XX 3.5" 2.25oz #4 lead from my Mossberg 835 with the factory .695".  I think my Stardot overchoked them but the .695 threw between 75 and 90 in the 10" @ 42yds every shot with nice 20" patterns also.  I had forgot just how big #4's are because 80 #4's fills the 10" nicely.  I really think a .685" choke would be a great combo with these.

My Stardot threw between 70 and 80 with the 3" 1.75oz Win HV #4 @ 42yds but the 20" was weak.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Those #4's are huge.  Big ol' holes in the target.  It's tricky though.  Not nearly as many pellets in the shell.

100 #4's in 10" would be so awesome, but I've never seen it in person.  I've gotten 140 with 6's, and 135 with 5's, so I'm sure it's doable.  Maybe one day.

Tom Foolery

My gun has never hit 100 either I don't think, but man that would be a smoking pattern.  A friend of mine has an 835 that I bet could hit 100 with 4's.

My 835 has crossed 150 with 3.5" 2oz 6's, never really took to 5's unfortunately but the 4's look interesting.

I had this happen twice today with 3.5" 2.25oz #5's, when shooting I had 2 just horrible patterns, I mean they sucked.  When I looked at the pattern paper there was a hole as big as my thumb straight through it, that would be the wad.  It looked like a slug had hit it and I bet I only had 40 or 50 pellets on a 30x30 sheet of paper, very strange.

budtripp

I admit I've never been a big fan of 4's for turkeys, but thats because none of my guns have ever patterned them very well, and to be honest I spend alot more time trying 5's and 6's. The patterns you getting should flat out smoke a gobbler though  :OGturkeyhead:

Tom Foolery

My Stardot liked the Win 2.25oz XX #5's pretty good actually.  I need to retest this one.

Tom Foolery

I think my wife burned my 90 pattern but I found an 84 @ 42yds and did a 16" and 20" count.

10"- 84
16" - 144
20" - 184

TrackeySauresRex

T.F... I just shot a 92 with the same gun and a JH .690 I think I can get 100 clean  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom Foolery

We want pics, we want pics, we want pics..........

That would be a great pattern, clean that baby and shoot it.

Gooserbat

I'm jealous, both my 870's hate #4  I mean HATE like numbers in the 30' and 40's @ 40 yards.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

this is a target I shot with my 835 using 3.5" 2-1/4oz #4's with the .710 factory full from my old 835 bought years ago

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

surehuntsalot

I forgot,that is 38 actual measured yds
the paper says 40,and it was before I started looking at 10" circles

but I think it might do a bird in if given the chance
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 11, 2013, 12:25:20 PM
We want pics, we want pics, we want pics..........

That would be a great pattern, clean that baby and shoot it.

Here's one picture of a 3-1/2   Win hv#4 2oz

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,34305.0.html
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Tom Foolery, that's a mean #5 pattern pictured above.

If it does that twice, I'd say rock "that" combo, and forget the 4's.

5's are plenty.

Tom Foolery

The Stardot has repeated that #5 pattern a couple of times.  I usually shoot 6's since I have about 10 boxes of 3.5" HV #6 but I will probably pick up a couple boxes of 2.25oz 5's too, can you ever have too much ammo?   :z-guntootsmiley: