OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 not feeding/ejecting

Started by FttFttVroom!, April 10, 2013, 06:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FttFttVroom!

My 870 started acting up last weekend and doesn't want to fully chamber a round.  Then when I try to eject it, it acts like it is stuck and I have to practically slam the gun down on the buttstock to eject the partially chambered round.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it does as described above.....what gives?

the Ward

Could be debris built up in the chamber.Try taking your barrel off and look in the chamber,then see if a shell will drop in by hand into chamber.If it won't,then its something with chamber/shell,if shell goes in/out of chamber easily by hand,then possibly its something binding/dirt in action.I would try that to narrow it down on what is causing the condition described....ward

the Ward

Could be some shells with slightly out of spec brass.Had a couple of black cloud shells do that to me once.Just a couple out of the box did what you described.Also put a new sling on a gun once and it had a little extra amount of material sicking out of the buckle at the magazine end and depending on angle of gun it would occasionally get caught between the pump forend and barrel ring on mag tube.Would happen intermittantly when i was working the pump fast for a shot duck hunting.Just some more ideas,hope you get it working good...ward

FullChoke

By the way that you have described the problem that you are having, I would agree that you have some trash or deposits on the inside of the barrel. I would suggest Deep-Cleaning the barrel. Google "Deep Clean Shotgun Clark Bush" and follow the easy instructions. It takes a little time, but the results are amazing.

Also, the fact that it is happening to an 870 doesn't surprise me at all. Remington has started covering much of the mechanisms in their guns with an anti-corrosive coating. This means that you will need to tear the gun down and thoroughly clean all parts to get this gunk out of assemblies like the extractor to allow it to function correctly.

Let us know what your results are with this.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FttFttVroom!

Ward, it was the sling! I finally had some me time tonight so I sat down and went over the issue and sure enough, it was the sling.  I trimmed the excess and hit the edge with a lighter. Problem solved! Thanks for the help!

the Ward

Anytime! Glad i was able to help ya!.......ward

HoggleGobble

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on April 12, 2013, 11:17:56 PM
Ward, it was the sling! I finally had some me time tonight so I sat down and went over the issue and sure enough, it was the sling.  I trimmed the excess and hit the edge with a lighter. Problem solved! Thanks for the help!

I laughed when I read this.... The EXACT same thing happened to me! I thought something happened to my gun, and wouldn't cycle. Took it home,and found the strap stuck in the pump forearm... Sowed that baby where it wouldn't happen again. Now Nitros sticking in my chamber because they are too hot, that's another story!