turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best choke?

Started by Sportdog7, April 09, 2013, 11:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportdog7

Yes I'm new to turkey hunting this will be my first hunt this spring. I'll be using my Winchester SX-3 and the choke will be the Briley "EXR" the shell I'll be using... Federal Premium 3-1/2" , 2oz of #5 lead shot The patterns are the tightest of the chokes I've tried, this included  a couple turkey chokes along with a full and the EXR. My testing was done at 40yds. and the EXR did the best of the ones I had available. I know its not a turkey choke but it gave the tightest pattern, My shoulder was sore last week from the testing! Has anyone else been surprised that a choke other than a turkey choke gave better results?

longbeardsontheflint

KICKS CHOKE TUBES IS THE ONLY WAY FOR ME. ALL I SHOOT IS BENELLI SBE II. GOT IT IN 24'' BARREL AND REALTREE APG WITH STEADY GRIP STOCK FOR TURKEY AND 26'' IN MAX 4 WITH KICKS HIGH FLY FOR THE DUCKS. BOTH ARE DEADLY COMBOS

scottyvega

i asked the same question the other day, ive gone out and bought 3 different chokes.  I have bought the jelly head from primos,an indian creek and a pure gold and will be trying them as soon as they get here, with hevi shot blend loads and some other loads will post pics as soon as i shoot to try to help as much as i can ive been reading so much about chokes

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll chime in if I may.  Now this is just something I got from a guy yesterday at Walmart when I was picking up some more Federal 3.5" Turkey Thugs.  This guy came up to the ammo.  I thought I would see if he has shot any of this new ammo and tell him he might want to give them a try since I have heard reports from guys on here whom I trust that they shoot great, so I ask.  He says yep and he then pointed to the Winchester 3" 1 and 3/4oz # 5's I believe it was and he says it shot the best at 40yds in his guns.  I said what kind of guns do you have.  He said a 835 with a Star Dot choke and some other 870's and I forgot the rest.  I then said what did you shoot at for a target.  He told me a piece of notebook paper.  I then said how do you know that the Winchester loads shot the best since you used such a small target.  He said it hit the paper with more shot.  I had to chuckle inside.  I then explained my logic to him about using a bigger piece of cardboard backer to catch most if not all of your pattern so you will in fact know if what your saying next time when you say these shot the best if that is in fact true.  He walked off.  I thought I might have made him mad.  But I seen him later and tried to ease the air if I indeed upset him.  He said know you didn't and he appreciated the tip and will try that next time he shoots.  He said it makes sense to him.

But I told this story because so many folks think they know what they are talking about, but in reality don't.  Not that this guy was a liar, but he just wasn't as educated on patterning as some who have done a lot of it.  Now how many more guys would he have told this what he told me had I not corrected him?  Now to get back with what I want to say here.  But I hope this guy in fact finds out the truth with the chokes and guns he has and the ammo he is shooting by doing what I told him. 

A good shooting turkey load like let's use Hevi-13 #7's in either 3" or 3.5" since most know on here how well they shoot in every gun.  Now I know there will be some that say they didn't shoot good in their gun with the chokes they tried.  But I will politely say this that they more than likely didn't have the right choke or constriction size or a combination of both for I haven't seen a gun yet that wouldn't shoot them better than Hevi-13 #6 loads.  Simply put the 7's have more shot in them, so they are gonna shoot more denser patterns.  Now any good shooting turkey choke, and I do mean the proven winners like Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Haymaker, TruGlo SSX, Jelly Head, etc... just to name some of the better current production chokes are going to shoot these loads as well as good shooting lead loads, better than a full or extra full non turkey choke.  I myself haven't found a full or extra full standard choke to even come close to shooting with these better turkey chokes.  That's been my findings.  Some folks on here need to experiment more on patterning and buying some of the good turkey loads and turkey chokes and pattern with big sheets of cardboard at a true 40yds to educate themself more to what really is in fact the case with what choke or loads shoot the best.  Now I hope I said that without coming across wrong.  But it is the truth.   

scottyvega

I get what ur saying and i agree 100% this being the reason i bought all three of the best chokes that ive seen and read about being the ICBD,PG,and jelly head. I also bucked up and bought the hevi 13 multi blend and some of the # 6 and # 7 and lets just say ive invested alittle bit of money into all this but i want to take the time and to this right one time ive never taken the time to patteren a gun properly.. The chokes should be in tommorow, and i hope to get out and shoot them and post pic next week for ppl to see the difference so again thanks for all the info ppl have on this site i do appriciate reading and listening to ppl

scott

Gooserbat

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 10, 2013, 01:33:18 PM
I'll chime in if I may.  Now this is just something I got from a guy yesterday at Walmart when I was picking up some more Federal 3.5" Turkey Thugs.  This guy came up to the ammo.  I thought I would see if he has shot any of this new ammo and tell him he might want to give them a try since I have heard reports from guys on here whom I trust that they shoot great, so I ask.  He says yep and he then pointed to the Winchester 3" 1 and 3/4oz # 5's I believe it was and he says it shot the best at 40yds in his guns.  I said what kind of guns do you have.  He said a 835 with a Star Dot choke and some other 870's and I forgot the rest.  I then said what did you shoot at for a target.  He told me a piece of notebook paper.  I then said how do you know that the Winchester loads shot the best since you used such a small target.  He said it hit the paper with more shot.  I had to chuckle inside.  I then explained my logic to him about using a bigger piece of cardboard backer to catch most if not all of your pattern so you will in fact know if what your saying next time when you say these shot the best if that is in fact true.  He walked off.  I thought I might have made him mad.  But I seen him later and tried to ease the air if I indeed upset him.  He said know you didn't and he appreciated the tip and will try that next time he shoots.  He said it makes sense to him.

But I told this story because so many folks think they know what they are talking about, but in reality don't.  Not that this guy was a liar, but he just wasn't as educated on patterning as some who have done a lot of it.  Now how many more guys would he have told this what he told me had I not corrected him?  Now to get back with what I want to say here.  But I hope this guy in fact finds out the truth with the chokes and guns he has and the ammo he is shooting by doing what I told him. 

A good shooting turkey load like let's use Hevi-13 #7's in either 3" or 3.5" since most know on here how well they shoot in every gun.  Now I know there will be some that say they didn't shoot good in their gun with the chokes they tried.  But I will politely say this that they more than likely didn't have the right choke or constriction size or a combination of both for I haven't seen a gun yet that wouldn't shoot them better than Hevi-13 #6 loads.  Simply put the 7's have more shot in them, so they are gonna shoot more denser patterns.  Now any good shooting turkey choke, and I do mean the proven winners like Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Haymaker, TruGlo SSX, Jelly Head, etc... just to name some of the better current production chokes are going to shoot these loads as well as good shooting lead loads, better than a full or extra full non turkey choke.  I myself haven't found a full or extra full standard choke to even come close to shooting with these better turkey chokes.  That's been my findings.  Some folks on here need to experiment more on patterning and buying some of the good turkey loads and turkey chokes and pattern with big sheets of cardboard at a true 40yds to educate themself more to what really is in fact the case with what choke or loads shoot the best.  Now I hope I said that without coming across wrong.  But it is the truth.

Well said.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gooserbat

Quote from: scottyvega on April 11, 2013, 10:30:22 AM
I get what ur saying and i agree 100% this being the reason i bought all three of the best chokes that ive seen and read about being the ICBD,PG,and jelly head. I also bucked up and bought the hevi 13 multi blend and some of the # 6 and # 7 and lets just say ive invested alittle bit of money into all this but i want to take the time and to this right one time ive never taken the time to patteren a gun properly.. The chokes should be in tommorow, and i hope to get out and shoot them and post pic next week for ppl to see the difference so again thanks for all the info ppl have on this site i do appriciate reading and listening to ppl

scott
[/quote

That's a good attitude and you are diffidently going about it in the right way.  Find what works best for you, unfortunately sometimes it ain't cheap.  Best of luck this season and hunt safe.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks Gooserbat.  Again I hope people who read that take that in a positive manner.  But so much of that happens every single year.  And a lot comes from new folks.  I just hope I can educate them and get them to try what I said rather than make them mad.  I tried to word that the best I could without sugar coating it.   

Scotty,

You got some great chokes to try.  All I can tell you is go and find some big sheets of cardboard.  If you have a Dollar General Store, Target, etc... or any store that will have cardboard, they will more than likely let you have some.  I just got some at a Dollar General the other day.   You want sheets of at least 25" x 25" and even closer to 30" or slightly over it will be even better.  But the bigger stuff is getting harder and harder to find with all of the downsizing these days. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I used to work for a company that had a ton of cardboard.  I could get all I wanted.  I liked the size smaller than this.  But this will give you and idea what size to look for, but you probably won't find perfectly round sheets like this.  I didn't have to cut those.  They were perfect for patterning.  I think that sheet was like 40" in diameter.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here was the sheets I used to stack up on.  They were 31.5" in diameter.  The perfect size and no cutting.  I was in paradise for cardboard.

darn2ten

You'll have to cut them with a utility knife, but if you have a furniture store around you that's the best place I have found to get big sheets of cardboard.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: darn2ten on April 11, 2013, 02:44:24 PM
You'll have to cut them with a utility knife, but if you have a furniture store around you that's the best place I have found to get big sheets of cardboard.

I never thought of the furniture stores.  Thanks for sharing. 

scottyvega

yea i was gonna build a shooting stop sat using 2 heavy duty pallets, and then 2 pieces of 3/4 inch 8ft plywood attached to them, i was able to get 36 inch wide 100ft roll of white paper, the stuff you use to paper tune a bow, figured that would work to first sight the new gun in at 15 yds with like 3 inch 7 1/2 shot less kick on my shoulder and make sure my gun is sighted in.  Then ill get down to business with these chokes and my turkey loads, drawing a 10 inch circle and shooting at 40 yards to get my best pattern per choke, then ill see just how far i can push them out and hope to show the picks this next week as long as weather gets nice to shoot this weekend thanks again everyone for your input

Scott

ILIKEHEVI-13

Scott,

Just make sure to shoot first and then draw the 10" circle around the densest part of pattern.  So many folks don't do that either.  They draw their 10" circle first and shoot at it.  A big no no.  You want the best your gun can do in the 10".  And hopefully your gun will shoot poi to poa.  But a lot don't and have to be adjusted to do so with either a dot sight, scope, or adjustable sights. 

captin_hook

If I may add, Scott, to make sure your point of aim and point of impact are on, first use some cheap low brass. No use wasting the big boys if your gun is not on. Once you found you're on, then shoot your hunting loads.