OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to do if your shell gets discontinued ?

Started by eddie234, April 09, 2013, 08:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

So, over the years what have you done if the shell you spent so much time patterning gets discontinued? Do you start over? Do you just stock up on the shell that works for you?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

Tom Foolery

I stock up but I also shoot enough that I know what else to get that works.  I have 5-6 boxes of Hevi13 3.5-2.25-7 but I have 15+ boxes of Win HV 3.5-2-6 because they will go 135-150 through my 835.  I have over 20 boxes of HTL for my 20 gauge but I need to get some more lead for it.

I try to buy a couple of boxes a month just to spread the cost out.

The way I kill turkeys it doesn't matter though, I could leave the gun and shells at home right now and kill just as many.  :)

Philippe

Generally try to search and buy up what my budget allows of them and the cry and throw a fit and the get back to the patterning board to work up a new choke/shell combo.

Deputy 14

Ive got enough turkey ammo to last me at least thirty years if I stop shooting paper with it.  But more than likely I will handload if I run out.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI will handload if I run out.

Agreed.  A good man here on the forums, (Clark) provided the last needed piece of that puzzle for me.

But I say buy the factory loads when they shoot just as good or better, and are just as cheap to buy as they are to load.  Besides, you then have even more hulls to reload later!

Components are NOT cheap these days.  BPS wants $55 plus tax for 25 pounds of Un-Plated Lead Shot.  Remington RP12 Wads are $15 plus tax per 250.  Powder and Primers are non-existent, unless you already have them.

It's easier to find factory turkey loads, than it is to find reloading components.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Deputy 14 on April 09, 2013, 10:24:30 AM
Ive got enough turkey ammo to last me at least thirty years if I stop shooting paper with it.   

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 09, 2013, 08:49:39 AM
Win HV 3.5-2-6 because they will go 135-150 through my 835.   
I try to buy a couple of boxes a month just to spread the cost out.
The way I kill turkeys it doesn't matter though, I could leave the gun and shells at home right now and kill just as many.  :)

X-2
Ma be 20yrs for me.  ;D I'm buying a box every once in a while so it doesn't hurt my pocket all that hard. I have a few boxes of MB left. However,I think I'm done with the Hevi. My Ol Mossy does pretty good with them Win Hv as well.
I'll still buy fed hevi for my boy's 20. He has a decent stock pile for a good while.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

wvcurlytop

Been buying a couple boxes a month for the past couple years that my shotgun shoots well..  My grandkids will be killing turkeys with them!!!

goblr77

Quote from: eddie234 on April 09, 2013, 08:39:01 AM
So, over the years what have you done if the shell you spent so much time patterning gets discontinued? Do you start over? Do you just stock up on the shell that works for you?

I stock up on what works for me. Usually try to pick up a box or two every time I run across some. I have enough HTL in 12 & 20 ga to last me a long, long time.

Rockhound

I stock up I currently have 24 boxes of federal heavyweight for my 10 a few boxes of hevi and enough components for a couple hundred htl shells. Not counting TSS which I'm currently shooting.. no telling how many htl shells I have for my 3" 12 and about 7 boxes for my 20.

eddie234

I think I'm gonna fall somewhere in the middle. I'm shooting a Winchester 1300 with a ssx choke and hevi 13 3" 2oz #6. I'll get a few more boxes while I can still get a rebate.  That should last me a few years. But I figure by then some company will have come out with a shell that will work better in my combo and I don't want to have three generations of ammo stocked up.

surehuntsalot

I have enough lead shells bought up to last me the rest of my life,and my son's and grandson's lives
it's not the harvest,it's the chase