OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tempest .555

Started by headbuster, March 07, 2011, 05:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headbuster

Got my Tempest .555 today and just had to go try it out. Weather here hasn't been good for the last couple days but I wanted to go ahead and shoot just to see what this choke could do.
My 20 yd pattern was TIGHT, 266 in the 10!! My 40 wasn't good at all,77 in the 10.
I shot the RSF Saturday at 20(didn't attemp to count) and 40 with 102 in the 10. Last year I got 150 in the 10 with good weather.
So... I think I'm gonna send the .555 back and try the .570 Tempest. If it's not that much better than the RSF then I'll just use the RSF. All the talk about these Tempest chokes I have to give 'em a try.
I can't figure out how to post picts. Anybody care to help?

Thanks

shootumindaface

Oh Great, I am hoping that is my Knight in Shining Armor and have one on the way.. I have tried the RSF, SSX, Undertaker and the Tempest 570 in my gun to no avail.. If this choke does not work, I am done with the Feds..

sugarray

Shootum,

what were your results?

shootumindaface

Quote from: sugarray on March 07, 2011, 08:33:03 PM
Shootum,

what were your results?
The SSX was shot last year and was close to being adequate.. The PG 570 Tempest was dismal in two guns very dismal.. I shot in cold temps, but I hunt in cold temps

headbuster

The first picture is at 20 yds. with 266 in the 10.
The second picture is @40- 77 in the 10 and 209 in the 20". I don't have a picture of the 20" number. (I just counted them up.
Also the RSF from Sat.: No pictures right now.
20yds- 304 in the 10"
40yds- 102-10" 254 in the 20"

[attachment deleted by admin]

gophert

Even more results that show that cheap RSF is a dominating choke in these 20 gauge guns. 

shootumindaface

Quote from: gophert on March 07, 2011, 09:26:40 PM
Even more results that show that cheap RSF is a dominating choke in these 20 gauge guns. 
What do you do if you dont have a Remington.. Re Thread your gun ???

That choke was a complete POS in my gun with both Feds and H 13

headbuster

Let me add that the weather Saturday was off and on rain and high 40's to low 50's when I shot the RSF. Today was mid 50's with the Tempest.
Gophert, you right! I'm still gonna try the .570 Tempest and see what the pattern looks like with it. If it doesn't look good I have no problem shooting the RSF. I got 150 out of it last year in warm weather the very first time I shot it. So I know what it's capable of doing.

headbuster

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 07, 2011, 09:29:27 PM

It works in some and other it doesn't. I've heard some really good numbers coming from 870's and fed's. Gutpile got 120-130 with some really good 20" numbers. Not all guns are gonna shoot em alike.

gophert

I have ordered a Truglo SSX .550 to see what it will do.  I am trying to get a choke that will put 100 in a 10" at 40 with the Fed HW 2 3/4 #7's.  My 10 yr old daughter is shooting that gun this year and it is the perfect load for her, but I need a few more to feel comfortable outside of 30. 

Who knows, it may be too tight at 20.  I'm shooting in a few weeks and will give an update.   

shootumindaface

Quote from: headbuster on March 07, 2011, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: shootumindaface on March 07, 2011, 09:29:27 PM

It works in some and other it doesn't. I've heard some really good numbers coming from 870's and fed's. Gutpile got 120-130 with some really good 20" numbers. Not all guns are gonna shoot em alike.
Thank you for the wisdom, I thought all like models shot identical.. But it still dont answer my question

TrkyHntr

I've tried the .555 tempest, RSF,SSX,GSX. Nothing patterns as good as the Hastings .562 in my gun. I average right at 170 at 40yds with the Hastings.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

T/C prohunter81

I tried the .555 in three different guns with four different shells and could not get any results. Now i have the .570 and getting between 170 and 180 in a 10inch circle at 40 yards

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gobbler74

look just as hard at your barrel length as you do constriction...The 555 in standard ported and tempest pure gold has better than average results in the short barreled guns..My 20 will not shoot the rsf well either. 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"