turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

possible problem help

Started by killer, March 07, 2011, 03:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer

I havne't patterned my 1187 yet, maybe this weekend or next, but I got to thinking what I would do if the pattern center was not where my point of aim was.  In the past this has been easily resolved with a red dot or adjustable rifle sights.  The problem with this gun is, its also my rabbit/quail gun, as well as doves, and pothole waterfowl gun.  Is there any saddle or mount that would allow me to remove a scope and remount the next year without having to resight it back in?  Any other ideas for this possible problem?  Hopefully it won't be an issue but I have noticed when you choke down turkey loads the pattern shifts with some guns from factory chokes and standard shells.

shootumindaface

I use a B Square mount on a 870 and remove it sometimes to clean the action.. POI has not shifted with me doing this..

Also you could still add sights and remove them and put them back on.. Re sight back in with dove loads than fire a turkey load or two each year to re check POI..

killer

I had thought about the b-square.  I don't have any experience with them so I didn't know.  If I have to put a scope on it I hope I find somthing that repeats.  I really don't want to have to shoot it every year before seaon.

shootumindaface

Quote from: killer on March 08, 2011, 11:40:31 AM
I had thought about the b-square.  I don't have any experience with them so I didn't know.  If I have to put a scope on it I hope I find somthing that repeats.  I really don't want to have to shoot it every year before seaon.
Even with a gun with some form of optics or sights in a fail safe mounting system, it is still pertinent and ethical to shoot your gun before season.. You owe it to the birds

davisd9

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 08, 2011, 11:49:37 AM
Quote from: killer on March 08, 2011, 11:40:31 AM
Even with a gun with some form of optics or sights in a fail safe mounting system, it is still pertinent and ethical to shoot your gun before season.. You owe it to the birds

:agreed:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

R AJ

Killer,
If your gun is shooting low left then with your bead practice aiming that much high right, the old Kentucky windage solution. Just know what it does.
Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone never went around with their B Square or Red Dot Scopes and they were not only shooting game for food they were protecting themselves from dangerous game and hostile enemies.