OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikers for Copper Pot Calls

Started by TnTurk, April 05, 2013, 10:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

I've got a copper pot from a reputable call maker and although I love the call, I am still searching for that"magic" striker that will make that call really sing in the woods. So, what type of wood/strikers have you found that really set these surfaces apart from all other calls?

otis

pappy

Quote from: Creekrocket on April 05, 2013, 10:52:46 PM
I like to use purple heart, persimmon, bloodwood, and ebony. I think they get good solid tones.
Really these are the best choices
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

TnTurk

Quote from: pappy on April 05, 2013, 11:33:59 PM
Quote from: Creekrocket on April 05, 2013, 10:52:46 PM
I like to use purple heart, persimmon, bloodwood, and ebony. I think they get good solid tones.
Really these are the best choices
I've got all of these except a persimmon striker.  Purple heart and ebony are ok, but can get a little squeaky if I'm not careful with the pressure. The bloodwood sounds pretty good. Guess I'm gonna have to find me a persimmon striker and try it out.

savduck

Georgia Boy

captin_hook

Try a carbon striker. My copper likes it. If all else fails, hickory will run just about anything fairly well.

Cut*N*Run

A soft, grippy wood like curly maple, cedar, or sycamore will sweeten copper a lot. A hard wood like purpleheart or oak will be raspy and energetic. Those are some of the extremes and then there is everything in the middle.

I mostly use sycamore, purpleheart, and padauk.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

s-s

i turned an osage the other day for a customer and just for kicks tried it on copper was truly amazed at how good it sounded. got to make me one now

Sully53

M,Yingling

I like my fiber rod striker,, They make the nastiest raspiest hen sound youll want to hear  :turkey2:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TnTurk

Quote from: Sully53 on April 07, 2013, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: outdoors on April 06, 2013, 10:10:42 AM
IVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH CEADAR.  :lol:

X2 plus mahogany
I tried an old homemade cedar striker last night and was pleasantly surprised at how it softened the call up yet still had a little bit of rasp to it. I also found what I think is a mahogany striker and it sounded pretty good too. I would still like to find a good persimmon or osage striker just for kicks. I'm just really skeptical about ordering a striker that I haven't run on a pot call because I know even different strikers from the same wood can sound different on the same call.

TauntoHawk

Cocobolo was what I like best out of my dozen or so strikers.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

vt35mag

pappy

You are just gonna have to keep playing with different strikers from the sound of it, buying strikers for a certain pot combination is like playing five card stud, you get the hand you're dealt, it's up to you to make it a winner.....

Quote from: TnTurk on April 07, 2013, 10:42:15 AM
Quote from: Sully53 on April 07, 2013, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: outdoors on April 06, 2013, 10:10:42 AM
IVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH CEADAR.  :lol:

X2 plus mahogany
I tried an old homemade cedar striker last night and was pleasantly surprised at how it softened the call up yet still had a little bit of rasp to it. I also found what I think is a mahogany striker and it sounded pretty good too. I would still like to find a good persimmon or osage striker just for kicks. I'm just really skeptical about ordering a striker that I haven't run on a pot call because I know even different strikers from the same wood can sound different on the same call.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206