turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot Surface for beginer

Started by srjs28, April 05, 2013, 11:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srjs28

Hi. i am new to the forum and fairly new to turkey hunting. i have only been using diaphragm calls when in the turkey woods. i have been looking into getting a pot call but not sure what surface is the most forgiving as i am new to this type of call.
Thanks for any info

Gooserbat

Slate.  Keep it dry, avoid contact with your hands so it stays free of "finger oil" and condition with scotchbrite and your good to go.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

scoot12

Ceramic is another easy surface to maintain but my favorite surface and very simple to play is a good anodized aluminum call.  You can go from soft to loud like no other surface in my opinion.  Scoot

pappy

Really being a beginner should not deter you from trying different surfaces on pot calls. You will have to learn anyone you choose, even though some are easier to master, slate is a good choice, because of its ability to create friction very quickly, and glass is good if it is conditioned right. Ceramic would be a great choice if you are looking for a less maintenance pot, all you need there is a good striker and some alcohol wipes. But with any pot, it takes practice, watch a lot of internet guru's run theirs or if you are close to someone who has some watch them.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

outdoors

Quote from: pappy on April 05, 2013, 02:59:43 PM
Really being a beginner should not deter you from trying different surfaces on pot calls. You will have to learn anyone you choose, even though some are easier to master, slate is a good choice, because of its ability to create friction very quickly, and glass is good if it is conditioned right. Ceramic would be a great choice if you are looking for a less maintenance pot, all you need there is a good striker and some alcohol wipes. But with any pot, it takes practice, watch a lot of internet guru's run theirs or if you are close to someone who has some watch them.
WELL SAID MY FREIND . . . .  .  :welcomeOG:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field