OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

benelli super black eagle 2

Started by HOOK KILLER, April 04, 2013, 02:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOOK KILLER

Hello to all.....i havent been on here for a while but i knew this would be the place to ask a question about my benelli .  I currently have a 26" barrel.  I am wanting a 22" due to weight reduction and mobality.  I dont shoot long distances so the long barrel doesnt help me any.  I cant seem to find a barrel that short to fit my black eagle 2.  Any one know where i might find one or if they even make one 22". If not has anyone ever had their benelli barrel cut off and re threaded for choke and if so what was the outcome.  Thanks

TheSportsman

I believe the shortest you can get it is a 24".  Ive seen 21" barrels for the old M1 90s...  Benelli barrels are $$$$$... Ive got a 26" on my SBE LH and have been on the search for a 24 myself.

spaightlabs

While an extra 4 inches would help a lot of guys in a couple of areas...

What do you think 4 inches of shotgun barrel weighs?

4 inches in terms of increasing your 'mobility' really ain't gonna buy you much.

Send me $100 for saving you the smith work or the cost of a new barrel.

You are welcome.

HOOK KILLER

I knew i would get a answer like that............... :drool:  Now lets move on i am going to have the barrel cutt.  Has anyone on here had a benelli barrel with the ciro coating in the barrel cutt off?

spaightlabs

Shouldn't be an issue as they are going to have to thread the barrel a couple inches down from the end to accept the chokes s the threads are not at the very end.

Still think you are insane.  Bet it doesn't cut the weight 6 ounces and you gain the length of your index finger in 'mobility' while decreasing potential resale value.

That's what makes Merica great though! :smiley-char092:

Any qualified local smith should be able to do that for you.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: HOOK KILLER on April 04, 2013, 02:54:21 PM
Hello to all.....i havent been on here for a while but i knew this would be the place to ask a question about my benelli .  I currently have a 26" barrel.  I am wanting a 22" due to weight reduction and mobality.  I dont shoot long distances so the long barrel doesnt help me any.  I cant seem to find a barrel that short to fit my black eagle 2.  Any one know where i might find one or if they even make one 22". If not has anyone ever had their benelli barrel cut off and re threaded for choke and if so what was the outcome.  Thanks

Just a couple of thoughts. The Benelli barrel is made from very good/hard steel and is of course chrome-lined. It's not easily cut properly and is very hard on tools

If you really want to have that barrel cut, I'd send it to someone who has done that on those barrels. If I were doing it I'd contact Rob Roberts at Rob Roberts Gunworks. He does the custom work for Benelli and could do it correctly.

The shortest factory barrels are 24" and somewhere in my memory it seems that there was some particular reason for that but I can't remember exactly why that was the case.

I have 26", 24" and 28" barrels for my SBE. The 26" is by far the best for patterns and I really can't tell any difference in how the 24" and the 26" handle in the goose pit, duck blind or turkey woods.

Lastly, if it were me and I really wanted a shorter barrel, I would call John Mann @ Mann & Son Sporting Goods (Since 1946) and see if he has a 24" barrel. He has a lot of Benelli barrels and is a Benelli parts distributor. He may also be able to tell you why they do not make a barrel shorter than 24" for those guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

the Ward

Being the benelli is an inertia action i think i read somewhere that inertia on recoil unlocks the bolt and the small amount of residual pressure in the barrel actually helps force the bolt back somewhat like delayed blowback.It was something along those lines,but prehaps a barrel shorter than 24 wont leave enough backpressure to operate reliably.Don't remember where i saw that now,maybe someone will know.But i agree that your better off just getting a factory 24 than cutting a perfectly good barrel,but to each their own!

beagler

I have a 24" barrel on my SBE 2 and shoot a Rhino Choke (.660) with very good results.
Never Misses

01Foreman400

They make a 21" M2 barrel.  I know a guy with a 19" SBE barrel with no issues.  I'd say it was more of a demand issue than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

the Ward

I was trying to find that article last night,and i saw where they offer barrels shorter than 24" on the  tactical guns.Forgot they made those,my bad lol!Just was theorizing about why none shorter than 24' for a sbe2.You are probably correct about the demand issue.Don't think many sbe2's being used for door breaching and room clearing,lol!But with this "tactical"craze going on full bore,who knows,They may offer one yet.Just in time to compete with the versamax "tactical"I can just see the advertisment for it now....."3.5 inches of room clearing power in one handy compact uncontrollable package!"           

01Foreman400

I would buy a 21" camo SBE 2 barrel in a heartbeat. 

01Foreman400

I'm think about buying a M2 camo with a 21" barrel.

the Ward

All kidding aside,with the  popularity of handy short barrel turkey guns,i'm suprized they haven't offered one in their turkey  lineup yet.

01Foreman400

Quote from: the Ward on April 05, 2013, 10:38:32 AM
All kidding aside,with the  popularity of handy short barrel turkey guns,i'm suprized they haven't offered one in their turkey  lineup yet.

They don't even make a 24" barrel in the Super Vinci......