turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looser choke for 3.5" with Hevi #7s

Started by howl, April 04, 2013, 12:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the practicality of using smaller shot so I can get a wider, more even pattern. I'm currently using a 935 with an old factory .690 choke from an 835. Winchester 2oz of lead sixes has been working well and gives me some cushion range estimation. Anyhow, I'd like to be able to have a wider pattern in close and still have my 10 yards of cushion if I miss my guess on distance.

Is it practical to try to move from about 444 lead sixes in a .690 choke to approximately 625 Hevi-13 sevens with a wider choke to get equivalent performance with broader patterns? Any suggestions on how to go about getting there?

FL-Boss

the HEVI #7 will help with everything..regardless of what you are trying to do. I have a similar thing happening now where I'm trying to go the other way and loosen things up a bit.. see here http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,34556.0.html

chipper

I shot the 7's in my 835 a year or two ago with a Bansner .690 and was putting around 160 -170 in the 10 and a very even 20 inch pattern.

bigdale

You will be happy with the results of the 7's

BINK McCARTY

HVY-13 SHOT WEIGHS MORE,THEREFORE IT WILL HIT HARDER...NOT TO MENTION AN UN-GODLY AMT. OF SHOT. MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....SBE II 24" BBL. GOBBLER GUNS FINAL STRUT .650 & HVY-13  2 1/4 OZ. 3 1/2" #7...336 IN  A10" CIRCLE @ 40YDS. HOWEVER, JUST MY OPINION,THESE #7'S R ONLY TRAVELING @ 1090FPS. IF I WERE U...AND THIS IS WAT I SHOOT...I WOULD DO THE HVY-13 MAG-BLEND. 3 1/2 ", 2 1/4OZ.OF 5,6,& 7 SHOT EXCEPT THEY R GOING 1200 FPS AND U WILL B IMPRESSED W/ THE RESULTS. I AVERAGE 210-240 PELLETS IN A 10" CIRCLE @ 40 YDS. HAPPY HUNTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howl

I'm throwing more pellets with a 3 1/2" load of sixes than the Magnum Blend has. I have no problem letting one go if it is out of range of lead sixes. Anyhow, I think the solution to using a tightly choked gun in close is simply to aim lower on the bird or let it walk off a little. Thanks, y'all.

Longshanks

The performance that you will get with Hevi 13 7's is far superior to lead 6's. I have a gun that turns 160's to 170's with lead 6's out of a .655. Same setup will push 300 (280-290) with hevi 3/2/7's Shot several turkeys with it (Pb) and it puts em down in the 30-40 yd range. I shot a turkey this morning with hevi 7's and the damage was incredible. Destroyed the head, shattered the beak and turned the turkey for a flip at 35 yds. Shot one at the same distance with 6's last year and damage was nothing like that. I shoot .671 hevi choke turning 330's in a 10 @ 40 with an even 20" pattern as well. Hevi 7's are bad medicine on the turkeys. My suggestion would be run some 7's through that gun and see what you have. You may be surprised by the density of the pattern.

pdaugherty

Those HEVI13 #7s are gonna hit like some lead #5s. Like Longshanks said run a few through your gun and see how they do. They will FILL UP a 20in pattern for sure at 40yds!

scottyvega

i will agree 100% with the hevy blend 5,6,7 or the hevy #7's are bad AZZ.... i used them today in my PG choke .670 and had 314 in 10 at 40 yds with a 10 mph cross wind, i love them cant wait to roll a turkey with them

Lucky Clucker

I love the hevi 13 7's,and federal hvy weights 7's, we have killed gobblers with all of them, and what I wonder is why the 1090 fps on hevi 13 7"s and the mag blends are at 1200 fps?  does the slower velocity help the pattern keep tight,the fed are 1300fps, and pattern as good and kill way out ther,they break every bone they hit, I used to shoot the hevi 6's from the old Remington loads 1 3/4 6 in 3,5in, at 1300 fps,killed the crap out of them past the 40 yard mark, I would like to se a high velocity load of 7's from hevi shot 13.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.