Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

A California Bird for Guns n Hoses

Started by Hayudog, April 04, 2013, 12:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Was able to connect on Tuesday.  Off the roost the birds were in a drainage off the property.  Gobblers went quiet as they hit the ground.  I had run the call just enough to let them know there was a bird in the right direction, mine.  About 15 minutes after flydown I heard gobbles and it sounded like they were moving up hill and going to move thru a bench on the property.  All this is a usual pattern.  As the group came to the skyline I could see 2 strutters, and what looked like 2 or 3 jakes looking down the hill at the decoys.  They gobbled as I ran the call.  All of a sudden all hell breaks loose up there- Putts - turkeys running- Jumping- A coyote runs into the middle of them,  Everything went back into the canyon they came from.
Eventually they came back up the same way.  Had a jake and one of the long beards finally come close.  Shot the long beard at twenty steps.  Darn near missed him.  Could only find a few blood spots on his head.  Trigger on my little single shot 20 gauge Baikal is long and creepy.  Seems like it takes forever to go off.  I think I pulled the shot, it should have just hammered him with the TSS 9's. Thank God for a few fringe pellets.
Shorter than usual beard, most 2 year olds are 9 1/2", but heavier than most.  Over 20 is unusual, normally about 19.
So the stats.  20.1 pounds, 8 3/4" beard, spurs both 15/16".  Either a healthy 2 year old or a small 3 year old.  Score 56.35
Good first bird of the season.  Looking to up grade now.  Hunted a different property the next day, had heard nothing on the roost- About 7 am had one gobble- about a half hour later heard him again just up the ridge- had 4 hens walk in- stayed for an hour and a half- he never followed them.  They were the best callers I've ever heard! and nothing!

gobblergls

Doug, nice baptism for the new gun.  I had William do some trigger work on my Baikal, now it is light and crisp.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone out here to do the same. As I recall, you only sent your barrel off.  I had a great first bird with mine.  Photos in my "project link".  It's nice carrying a light, effective gun. Gil

Thebody

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

blackmagic

Fireengine70

Congrats. That is great. I only wish my birds would cooperate.

WildSpur

Cluck more, yelp less

RutnNStrutn

TURKEYWHACKER

Good job and a nice bird. Our hard hit public land gobblers continue to elude me,

RutnNStrutn

Don't feel bad Turkeywhacker, our unpressured private land gobblers are successfully eluding me as well. I work them on the roost every morning, then I either see or hear them pitch down with hens. Game over. No more gobbling and the hens take them away. Those hags need to start nesting, and soon!!!