OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Full strut Decoy or No?

Started by sloanP, April 03, 2013, 03:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloanP

I have been hearing from a lot of people in GA that they are having birds flare off from a full strut decoy, said they would only use a hen and maybe a jake non strut.

some said the strut decoy gobbler makes birds decide if they want to fight or not

thoughts>?

noggin buster

Yestery morning i watched a bird fly down and strut all the way to 40 yards. He saw my pretty boy and went out of strut and walked off.  I was using a realjake fan in it.

DirtNap647

i have seen them shy away more than commit ...but some swear by them

steveo

All depends on the bird/birds, I have only used them 2X and both hunts ended up with dead gobblers, thats not to say they always work, when I used them I saw multiple gobblers together with jakes and they were always picking on each other......so I gave them someone to pick on ! and watched the show.   

Green Trumpeter

I have been using the killer B for the past 2 years and have been very successful with it. Every Tom that has seen it has come in on a string, and some have even come in running.

Ded Goblr

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 03, 2013, 05:50:31 PM
This has been my experience as well..

FL-Boss

I have a strutter.... but rarely ever use it... scared it will do more harm than good with birds in my area..  Hens are another story.. I always try to use them.

TurkeyTom

I have never used one..... but I bought one this year to use when hunting with my bow.

I have used jake decoys over the years and had good results.... killing many as they came into the setup on a string after seeing the jake decoy courting my hen decoy.

I've also heard they might intimidate a mature gobbler but I will still try it. I've seen too many video's of gobblers coming into a strutting decoy and attack them and I want to see  :popcorn: <--- (me watching)this in person.

If I were you, I'd try it and make up your own mind about them. I've never let what others think influence my decisions too much. Good luck and come back and let us know how it works for you!

Gobble Nole

I would recommend the Killer B beyond all others.  I have had great success with it in both FL and GA hunting field turkeys or setting it up in the dark before fly down.  If you buy a larger version of a full strut decoy it might be more visible but also more intimidating.  I personally like to pull the string, replaced with my own Power Pro so that it will not stretch, have the fan down in half strut and then release it should you see a bird.  That little bit of movement tends to get them going... 

I also think it is nice to have if you are a fan of any of the new gobble calls that seem to be popular now...

nickhrp

I use my b-mobile in half strut with a hen in front in a submissive position and another about ten yards off and poor fellow been beat up by several jakes and a gobbler but never scared any off the two years I been using
God Bless the Outdoors

birdyhunter

Had a bird cover 300+ yards to come beat up on my pretty boy Friday. My brother missed him clean at 40 yards.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

B-Rad1

I purchased a jake decoy last year, opening morning I decided to give it a try. I struck a bird mid morning and decided to set it up in a submissive position with the fan down at an angle. The bird came in and was sporting a rope, but when he turn the the corner and saw the decoy he turned on his heals an hauled butt. Have you ever had one of those moment where you were scratching your head and wondering what the heck just happen, that's exactly what I was doing!

Next morning, different location, and same effect. Needless to say I never used it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: B-Rad1 on April 08, 2013, 09:10:33 AM
  The bird came in and was sporting a rope, but when he turn the the corner and saw the decoy he turned on his heals an hauled butt. Have you ever had one of those moment where you were scratching your head and wondering what the heck just happen, that's exactly what I was doing!
Next morning, different location, and same effect. Needless to say I never used it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ded Goblr on April 03, 2013, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: MrB0000M on April 03, 2013, 05:50:31 PM
This has been my experience as well..

X-3
Still... every once in a while I get a dumb idea to set out a decoy  :funnyturkey:   It's frusterating when you do all that work to have em run off at the site of the decoy. I try my best not to use any decoy's at all now.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BeardzNSpurz

I almost always use a Flambeau King Strut with real wing feathers and fan. I've never had a gobbler shy away from it and now that I think about it never a jake either. It has been spurred and flogged 5 or 6 times. I guess we just have aggressive turkeys here. I feel it is the best decoy for bowhunting bc gou can get them 10yds from the blind.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Runnin Gunner

This year I've seen a two year old strut in from 100 yards to a Killer B with real fan, submissive hen in front and standing hen five yards out. He was there for forty minutes totally in love and hooked. But I've also seen two 3 year olds turn and leave to a B Mobile with real fan and same two hens.

A buddy watched a bird breed a hen then commit and walk over the hill to the Killer B and hens only to turn and run away fast. That bird has not been seen or heard since...

Im gonna keep using the hens, but may only put out B Mobile when I know it's a dominant bird from now on...  I don't think the hens will run him off like the strutters will
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  (1 Corinthians 2:2)