OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Here's Why I Like Hevi-13 #7's

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, April 03, 2013, 03:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Since I went through some of my older targets to find a Ventilator pattern and post it in another thread.  I seen these, and thought I would share.  Now granted I didn't hit these whole turkey targets the best that I had taped to a bigger piece of cardboard at a taped 40yds, but I cut the target in half to show you just how dense 7's will in fact shoot.  This is the backside of the H.S Strut turkey target.  I labeled each to show to you guys.  That's a 5.5" x 11" piece of paper just to give you a better perspective.  It's gonna be tough to put many more than this in that piece of paper from each of those #7 loads. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And notice the 2.25oz load out of the 835 beat the 3" load out of the 870. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Those 7's will always be king of the numbers.  For some reason, they've never been stocked well by stores in central Mississippi.  You'd find 6's and Magnum Blend, but very few 7's.  Even 4's and 5's were more plentiful than 7's.  Most stores didn't carry them at all.  I guess people still compare them to the same sizes in Lead?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I posted them because some want to see patterns other than just 10" circles.  And me being from the Show-Me state I figured I might as well post them.  But just imagine centering each of those patterns over a gobblers neck at that distance.  Yea I know other loads will work.  Never said they wouldn't.  But for total of hits, you won't beat the straight 7's. 

I talked the owner of the local gun shop into buying some 7's in 3" and 3.5".  He said they will be here either Thursday or Friday.  So I'll have to get some more since he listened to me.  I like helping those that help me.   :funnyturkey:

BrowningGuy88

Impressive as always Brad!!!

I prefer the Hevi 6's personally, but your patterns are always killer!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks.

DirtNap647

nice patterns...have you tried your haymaker choke yet?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 03, 2013, 05:56:21 PM

No I have not.  It's going to be awhile if I do. 

Philippe

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 03, 2013, 07:16:37 PM
Quote from: MrB0000M on April 03, 2013, 05:56:21 PM

No I have not.  It's going to be awhile if I do.

I'll be testing the haymaker and the pg tempest .670 side by side with the heavyweighs and the super mag in a week or so. From 5's to 7's, outta be a fun time! Im hoping it really lays down mean patterns like the 20 does with the fed heavies.

DirtNap647

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 04, 2013, 01:16:16 AM
Great reason to like them!

Thank you sir. 

Those 7's are for real.  I do know that eventually with more and more people making the switch to 7's that they will in fact take over as the #1 seller for Hevi-Shot vs any otther load.  Like I said none of their other loads will in fact put more shot in what your shooing at than what the 7's will.  Now that's a no brainer to me.  But some folks just don't believe that 7's pack the punch to kill a turkey at longer yardages like out to 40yds.  I'm here to tell you that this stuff will zip right through a turkey neck at 40yds easily. 

Big Gun

The two turkeys in my avatar we shot on Saturday.  Both were shot at 32-34 yards, one was shot with a 3.5" 4x5x7 Nitro blend, BPS, Rhino tube and the other with a 3" hevi metal straight 7, 935, hevi metal tube.  The straight 7 turkey hit the ground and hardly twitched, the Nitro turkey flopped and flopped.  Both were shot with scoped guns off sand bags.  Made a beliver out of me.

darn2ten

Theres no doubt they'll kill turkeys at 40 yds., I've killed multiple birds with hevi 7's. However I do not believe they pack the punch of other loads. I've went back to #5 lead, simply because from my experience out to 40 yds. with a good patterning gun #5's flat out smash turkeys. None of the birds I ever shot with hevi 7's were hit with comparable energy that lead #5's did at comparable yardages. To me, this only makes since. Lead has a tendency to squish or flatten out somewhat when it hits something there for expending its energy on that object. Htl is much harder, which helps it penetrate but not expend much energy. Now take those hevi 7's doing 1090 fps and compare that to a load of #5 lead doing 1300 fps. Like I said, these are my observations and opinions. With that said, we all know what they say about opinions! One thing is for sure, for factory loads they are no doubt the king of paper killers.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: darn2ten on April 04, 2013, 02:59:46 PM
Theres no doubt they'll kill turkeys at 40 yds., I've killed multiple birds with hevi 7's. However I do not believe they pack the punch of other loads. I've went back to #5 lead, simply because from my experience out to 40 yds. with a good patterning gun #5's flat out smash turkeys. None of the birds I ever shot with hevi 7's were hit with comparable energy that lead #5's did at comparable yardages. To me, this only makes since. Lead has a tendency to squish or flatten out somewhat when it hits something there for expending its energy on that object. Htl is much harder, which helps it penetrate but not expend much energy. Now take those hevi 7's doing 1090 fps and compare that to a load of #5 lead doing 1300 fps. Like I said, these are my observations and opinions. With that said, we all know what they say about opinions! One thing is for sure, for factory loads they are no doubt the king of paper killers.

That is why I shoot Hevi 6's! They smash turkeys! I am long time believer in Lead 5's and if I buy Win HV I will buy 5's, but all my blue/gold Fed's are 6's.