OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vinci scope bases options?

Started by DUCKDIGGLER, April 02, 2013, 08:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUCKDIGGLER

Howdy all! I have a new Vinci steady grip turkey gun due in any day now. I have an FF 3 8 moa sitting here ready for its new home. My question is what have you all used for a scope base (it is drilled and tapped from the factory ). I know the weaver 93A is an option but that is a lot larger than I'd like. Are there any other factory base options out there or do I need to cut the 93A down with my Dremel?

What have you done on yours? Pics are encouraged!

Thank you in advance! :thanks:

PALongspur

Warne offers an all steel version that I would take a hard look at.  :icon_thumright:

the Ward

Yea warne makes a nice steel 2 pc base,you could use the rear one only,midway has them for $24.99 i think.Or get the weaver 93a multi slot tactical base(basically a weaver one piece base slotted full length)and cut it to the length you need.Those are like $15 at midway and other places.I made mine out of a warne maxima 1pc base by shortening it and adding a slot then used the rear 2 mounting holes in receiver.Worked good,looks clean,holds solid.If i had to do it over i would have just  got the warne 2pc steel ones but i already had the maxima base and i like to waste my  time making stuff lol! .........ward

the Ward

I will try to post a picture later.Have to have my kid do it for me as i am seriously computer illiterate lol!

ads1

I have the 93a on my Super Vinci and really would not recommend them. The screws that came with the base were too long and interfered with the action. Just a small glitch but enough to make me want to try something different. :turkey2:
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

the Ward

I've had the same thing happen on occasion.Now i test fit any base and check the scewsTo make sure they are not too long or too short.If they are too long i just grind them down a little.Lots of the weavers,among others, come with screws that are long,seen a few funny episodes resulting from that lol!

DUCKDIGGLER

Guys...thank you for the input!  I am a big Warne fan so I ordered a set of them this am! :blob10:  Ward...thank you for the info! I'd love to see a pic if you can convince your son! LOL....I know the feeling!

Hey.....what chokes and loads are you guys running in your Vincis?

the Ward

Been doing some testing with Sumtoys recently,have a .650 on the way hope to shoot it this weekend if it comes in.I just shoot lead and tried a sumtoy .660 got very even patterns with it,i just needed to go a little tighter with lead to get what i was looking for.Previously was shooting a kicks gt in .665. it was too open for lead,at least shooting 3" shells.Probably would work good in a 3.5 shell or maybe with h13.I can't comment on the hevi shot loads or chokes as i haven't shot any but there is alot of info here from guys shooting it in benellis that can help ya if you go that route!Yea i like warne stuff too,great quality and made in the usa.Should work good for ya......ward

the Ward

If you are thinking about shooting htl,go on the pattern pic forum and lookup the patterns posted by a member called Huntsource.I don't know how to post a link lol!Anyway he sure got a vinci to sing with hevi7s and 6s.He's a real nice Guy,had a couple of conversations with him about shooting htl in a vinci,really knows his stuff.Wait tll you get that gun in your hands,your gonna love it!...ward :z-guntootsmiley:

mudhen

Just set up my SV & FF III this season.

I went with the Weaver 93 multi-slot base.  The directions say that you may have to shorten screws, which I have had to do with most shotgun base mounts.  If you think about it, 93 is a description of a base, not a gun model, so in order to fit many guns, one should expect to have to modify screws.  It might be nice if they provided a little bag of screws of different lengths, but not sure anyone does that, and it could lead to problems with folks using a too short screw.

My SV likes the H-13 choke in .667 + H-13 3.5" #6's 2.25 oz.  I can print 200-250 in the 10" at 40' with this combo on almost every shot.

Do you have a laser bore sight?  If so, that can really help sighting it in.  Horizontal was dead on, and it only took a little vertical adjustment to get it dialed in.  The best way I can describe it is that the red dot should float above the laser dot, maybe 5-6 red dots in vertically in measurement.  Make any sense?

Bad pic, but you might be able to get the idea, laser dot on bottom, FF III dot on top, and I bring the laser bore sight & the chart with me when I travel, I check zero upon arrival.

Good luck!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

the Ward

Great advice Mudhen!A friend has one of those laser  boresights and they're worth their weight in gold,or in this case, htl lol!Makes sighting in a breeze for sure!

DUCKDIGGLER

Gents.....thank you both! HTL is a definite , I have 3" 7s and 6s plus some Mag blends. I have 4 or 5 chokes to test also. I can't wait!

Mudhen....what type of laser bore sighted is that? Link?  Oh....I have a new Mr. Albert call due in tomorrow....but I am leaving on a business trip so I won't get to run it for a few days.

Thanks guys!

mudhen

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on April 03, 2013, 07:51:36 PM
Mudhen....what type of laser bore sighted is that? Link?  Oh....I have a new Mr. Albert call due in tomorrow....but I am leaving on a business trip so I won't get to run it for a few days.

Thanks guys!

Just a cheapy from Sportsman's Warehouse, maybe $49.  I use it on so many guns, that it's a no-brainer.  Almost a must have when traveling with scoped rifles & muzzleloaders...

You'll probably love the Paul's call!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

DUCKDIGGLER

Thanks brother!

It's my second one, have a poplar and walnut, Mr Albert suggested all walnut on this one. Already looking for suggestions on #3!

ads1

I have an Indian Creek choke on my SV and shoot Hevi 13 #6s.  Also have a SSX that I want to try with Hevi 13 #7s.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois