OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

which choke...

Started by Hooksnhorns, April 01, 2013, 10:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksnhorns

Aight guys, I'm shootin an 870 SM w/23" tube. With the risin cost of hevi, I'm thinkin bout goin to lead. Which choke would y'all recommend for 5s or 6s with my short bbl
Don't Tread On Me

the Ward

Seems like a lot of guys here are lovin the jellyhead,indian creek,and the ventilator.Check out the pattern picture forum to see what guys are getting out of there setups.Lot of guys shooting 870s here so i'm sure you get some great advice on what works good......ward

FL-Boss

I have the 11-87 SM with 23in.  Rem's love Jelly head plan and simple.  With lead #5 or 6.. you may want to try the .665 JH.   But to be honest.. I wouldn't use anything but HEVI.   Use HEVI #7 and a JH .660 and be done with it.  Yes it costs more.. but the difference is big.  You can cut back on other things not as important..  like buying new shoes for your kid.. or taking your wife out to a nice dinner..   :z-guntootsmiley:

BrowningGuy88

I like the kicks comp-n-choke xxxfull in remmy barrels with lead.

Philippe

Jelly Head .660 and Ventilator performed best with lead for me.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Best choke period in my 870 and my INV+ BPS has been Indian Creek .665

But know this; we all have favorites, and we all have opinions.  You won't really know unless you try several chokes yourself.  Let the Barrel tell you what it likes.

Gooserbat

They ain't popular but I have done better with Ballistic Specialties chokes than anything else.  I Shoot a .655 in my 870 and it shoots any Win #6 great
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.