turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question: Federal Heavyweights

Started by Neill_Prater, March 31, 2013, 11:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

My friend in Alabama called me a few days before I left to go down there for the opener, and asked me to pick up a box of 20 gauge shells for him at Bass Pro. He bought an unfired Nova 20 gauge from a guy that needed some cash. I bought him a box of 3 inch Federal Heavyweights, 1 1/2 oz of #7's.

We took it out behind his house to test fire it. His only chokes were the factory ones that came with the gun, so we screwed in the factory full. I ranged the target at 40 yards, and he sent a load downrange. I really wasn't expecting much of a pattern, especially with just a regular full choke, but it threw an awesome pattern. No, I didn't do a pellet count, but I can guarantee I would not hesitate to shoot at any turkey at 40 yards.

I've been shooting Magblends in my Stoeger, and did shoot Winchester Xtendeds in my 11-87, but the pattern with the Federals really has me wanting to try some, especially after reading how much denser their shot is than the Hevi's. All my aftermarket chokes are ported in some fashion, and I realize the Federals are designed to work better with non-ported. My question, for those more knowledgeable than I, is what constriction choke would likely work best in either, or both, of my guns? After seeing the pattern with a regular full choke, I'm guessing the Federals work better with a more open choke than most shells with traditional wads, but wasn't sure. Is the Nova pattern a fluke, or would it be likely to get good results with a factory full in other guns as well.

Thanks in advance for all information. Neill

BrowningGuy88

The pattern isn't a fluke. Those FCW work well in the 20 gauge!

If you are wanting to try the 12 gauge shells, I would try. Sumtoy or Trulock designed for the FCW.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Neill_Prater on March 31, 2013, 11:51:12 PM
My friend in Alabama called me a few days before I left to go down there for the opener, and asked me to pick up a box of 20 gauge shells for him at Bass Pro. He bought an unfired Nova 20 gauge from a guy that needed some cash. I bought him a box of 3 inch Federal Heavyweights, 1 1/2 oz of #7's.

We took it out behind his house to test fire it. His only chokes were the factory ones that came with the gun, so we screwed in the factory full. I ranged the target at 40 yards, and he sent a load downrange. I really wasn't expecting much of a pattern, especially with just a regular full choke, but it threw an awesome pattern. No, I didn't do a pellet count, but I can guarantee I would not hesitate to shoot at any turkey at 40 yards.

I've been shooting Magblends in my Stoeger, and did shoot Winchester Xtendeds in my 11-87, but the pattern with the Federals really has me wanting to try some, especially after reading how much denser their shot is than the Hevi's. All my aftermarket chokes are ported in some fashion, and I realize the Federals are designed to work better with non-ported. My question, for those more knowledgeable than I, is what constriction choke would likely work best in either, or both, of my guns? After seeing the pattern with a regular full choke, I'm guessing the Federals work better with a more open choke than most shells with traditional wads, but wasn't sure. Is the Nova pattern a fluke, or would it be likely to get good results with a factory full in other guns as well.

The Federal 20 gauge shell with #7 Heavyweight shot is in many ways a different animal than any of the 12 gauge loads. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of the 12s through many different brands of chokes, different designs, ported and non-ported and have found that one key to making the 12 gauge loads work is to defeat the intended purpose of the Flitecontrol Wad.

It is possible to shoot those shells and have the wad fully deploy and do all that it is supposed to do and not get the kinds of patterns that you'd like or expect. It's also possible to cause that wad not to function as intended and get some pretty good patterns.

What I have found as have others, is that to maximize the potential of those shells, a choke with a relatively long parallel section, no ports, a crowned muzzle and an exit diameter of .650 works best. The patterns look good, especially considering the relatively light load of the 12 gauge shells as compared to others but the wad will look compressed and the petals will not fully deploy.

That is the best way that I've found, after shooting many of those shells, to get good patterns. Lastly, there is little comparison between the #7 shot and the #6 shot in those shells. If you want to shoot them, I'd highly recommend the #7 shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Neill_Prater

Clark, so what you are saying that in your experience, the best pattern is achieved shooting through what I perceive to be an extremely tight choke (.650)? That seems a contradiction to the results I saw from my friend's 20 gauge, but I realize I have nothing to compare it to. I was assuming that the Federals would do better with a more open choke.

Thanks,
Neill

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Neill_Prater on April 02, 2013, 12:01:22 AM
Clark, so what you are saying that in your experience, the best pattern is achieved shooting through what I perceive to be an extremely tight choke (.650)? That seems a contradiction to the results I saw from my friend's 20 gauge, but I realize I have nothing to compare it to. I was assuming that the Federals would do better with a more open choke.

Thanks,
Neill

Hey Neill,

Yes. A .650 non-ported choke with 1.3" of parallel does best in the 12 gauge guns and in the 20s, the .550 SSX with the #7 Heavyweight shot does best.

Defeating the intended purpose of the wad, full deployment of the petals and brakes, creates better patterns than a choke that allows the wad to open fully as designed.

It sounds strange but it works.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Borden811

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 16, 2013, 04:49:50 AM
HAYMAKER CHOKE MADE BY INDIAN CREEK FOR DOWN-N-DIRTY OUTDOORS,OR CALL ROB ROBERTS @ GOBBLER GUNS 1-877-251-9955.THIS GENTLEMAN IS THE ONE BENELLI HAS ENTRUSTED TO DO ALL OF THEIR CUSTOM SHOP TURKEY/WATERFOWL GUNS....HE KNOWS HIS STUFF & MAKES OUTSTANDING CHOKE TUBES. ONCE U SHOOT THE FED.HVYWT.& FIND THE PROPER CHOKE,NO TURKEY IS SAFE OUT TO 70 YDS. ALTHOUGH I DO NOT SHOOT THEM @ THIS DISTANCE REGULARLY....IT WILL ABSOLUTELY STONE THEM,HAPPY HUNTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-[

archdriver

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 01, 2013, 12:05:51 PM
Quote from: Neill_Prater on March 31, 2013, 11:51:12 PM

The Federal 20 gauge shell with #7 Heavyweight shot is in many ways a different animal than any of the 12 gauge loads. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of the 12s through many different brands of chokes, different designs, ported and non-ported and have found that one key to making the 12 gauge loads work is to defeat the intended purpose of the Flitecontrol Wad.

It is possible to shoot those shells and have the wad fully deploy and do all that it is supposed to do and not get the kinds of patterns that you'd like or expect. It's also possible to cause that wad not to function as intended and get some pretty good patterns.

What I have found as have others, is that to maximize the potential of those shells, a choke with a relatively long parallel section, no ports, a crowned muzzle and an exit diameter of .650 works best. The patterns look good, especially considering the relatively light load of the 12 gauge shells as compared to others but the wad will look compressed and the petals will not fully deploy.

That is the best way that I've found, after shooting many of those shells, to get good patterns. Lastly, there is little comparison between the #7 shot and the #6 shot in those shells. If you want to shoot them, I'd highly recommend the #7 shot.

Thanks,
Clark

That  is fascinating  what  you  say  about  20 ga vs  12  shells.  I  have found that my  factory  full  benelli choke  .590 shoots  fed  HW #7's  very  well  and  with very little erratic behavior.
However,  my  12  ga  shells seem to shoot a farily  decent  pattern with modest chokes 680 range
but with the center kinda unpredictably erratic.  As solid as I  could  hold  mny  aim,  my  centers  seem to always be off-center (point of  aim) by  a  few  inches in any  direction.... up  ,  down , left  or  right.

i  really  have  felt  most  comfortable shooting lead loads  thru  680  and having beach ball sized patterns out  to  40 yrds.

i  really  respect  your experience and comments - 
ArchDriver

bawana

I'm shooting an 870 sm with a Trulock .650 (nonported) and using the federal 3 1/2 #7 hw, getting 140 -150 in the 10 inch circle at forty with no gaps.....and it hits like a mack truck!

runngun

They will shoot just fine from a modified or full factory choke give it a try. You might just be surprised

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Lucky Clucker

A friend of mine got some for his single shot 20 ga. and man it shoots good,far better than a lot of 12 ga. patterns I have seen, I shoot them in my New England 12 ga. 3.5 full choke, the 3 a.nd 3.5 shells in 7's,.Alot of Tpms have died from these inside and beyond OG's range limit.they are heavy and shoot slam through turkeys and break every bone they hit, I would love to see them load the 7's in a regular wad too.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

surehuntsalot

you don't have to have a 50.00 or more choke to get a good pattern out of these shells,your factory full choke on just about any gun out there will give you a good hunting pattern.
guys gripe about Federal and the fc wad,I have no problems with them because I'm not trying to shoot them through tight chokes that they ARE NOT designed for.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase