News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

535 and magnum blends

Started by Gooble, March 29, 2013, 03:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooble

Hi all,
Just bought a new 535. I just ordered some 3" (I aint shooting 3.5 through this thing!) 2oz magnum blends. It came with a factory choke but I'm not sure if its hevi-safe. Anybody else shooting the combo?  If so what choke works well for you?  I live 15 minutes from Trulock so I'm thinking of seeing if they'll let me pattern through a few until I find the best one

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gooble on March 29, 2013, 03:23:01 PM
Hi all,
Just bought a new 535. I just ordered some 3" (I aint shooting 3.5 through this thing!) 2oz magnum blends. It came with a factory choke but I'm not sure if its hevi-safe. Anybody else shooting the combo?  If so what choke works well for you?  I live 15 minutes from Trulock so I'm thinking of seeing if they'll let me pattern through a few until I find the best one

Welcome to OG first of all and congratulations on your new Mossberg 535. I have owned 3 of those guns and currently have 1 with the waterfowl and turkey barrel.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" the bore prior to shooting it. That process will really help you get your best patterns and remove all of the "gunk" that is generally found in new shotgun barrels.

If you're not familiar with the process, you can click on the allaboutshooting banner below this post and find the article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" to see the guidelines.

The turkey choke that comes with that gun is a "lead only" choke. George Trulock makes some excellent turkey chokes and it's great that you are so close to him and can try several of his chokes to see which one works best for you.

Good luck to you this spring with your new turkey gun and please let us know what you find works best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

noggin buster

I shoot a 535 with 3"mag blends. I use a SSX choke and it shoots nice even patterns at 40 yards.

Swamp

i have a 535 with a kicks .655 gobbling thunder shooting federal turkey thugs 3" 6s only shell i can get to pattern out of it. I'm seriously considering selling mine and buying either a 935 or a rem 11-87. and Good decision on ordering the 3" insted of the 3.5s  gun will knock your teeth out with 3.5s