OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Drop away arrow rests  (Read 14968 times)

Offline wvcurlytop

Drop away arrow rests
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »
I need some experts advice on arrow rests.  I currently shoot a whisker biscuit, but every year I debate on changing to one of the drop away rests they sell.  I'm torn between the code red, one of the QAD rests, as well as the trophy taker styles.  Plus I'm afraid I may be wrong and be better off with my whisker biscuit.  In your guy's opinion, are drop aways better than my whisker biscuit, and do they offer any advantages?? 

What rests do you guys shoot. 

Also, you all that consistently kill turkeys with your bows, my hat is off to you. 

Thanks for all the help in advance..

Offline whiskey

Drop away arrow rests
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
I use the QAD Ultra HD Pro. I used a whisker biscuit for 10 years before switching. For me, I am happy with the switch. The only downside for me is stalking deer with an arrow nocked. The biscuit is hard to beat for that. For stands and blinds, the QAD is perfect.

Offline Onpoint

• Longbeard
Drop away arrow rests
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
I use a Ripcord. I' used to shoot a biscuit and it had it's advantages but it also had it disadvantage. I shoot a lot and I shoot 4" feathers and that biscuit flat out chews feathers up. I tried a QAD ultra hunter after the biscuit and I had some issues with it so I wentback to the biscuit for a little while. I've had this ripcord for about 2.5 years now and never had a problem with it. I love it.

Offline hellbilly

Re: Drop away arrow rests
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I use the Ripcord Code Red. Works great, but I have also heard good things about QAD rests.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
Qad and ripcord are rests I have used and like. I'm currently shooting a hamskea versa rest and trophy taker smackdown pro. Use the hamskea for tournament and smackdown for hunting. I prefer the smackdown over the qad and ripcord. I just like limb driven as it doesn't mess with your timing and when I change strings, which is quite often, I don't have to retune. Tons of good rests these days

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
I hunt turkeys in 4 states,spring and fall. I shoot a biscuit for the simple reason that it is simple.I also shoot out to 80 yrds. with it.I don't want to be two states over and have a problem.I also have the trophy taker pro on my 3d bow and like it but have noticed that the cord pulls the rest down.No problem after a 3d but what a pain if I used it on my hunting bow.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline jhcats10

Drop away arrow rests
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »
I've used both QAD and Ripcord. One thing you should know between these two is that the Ripcord does not stay in the "cocked" position if you let down from full draw and the QAD will.

That being said, I didn't have a problem with that feature and currently using the Ripcord, but some people don't like that. I've heard great things about the Limb Driver Pro rests as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 30_06

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Esse quam videri
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
I switched from the WB to the QAD HD around 5-6yrs ago. I prefer the QAD HD, easy to set up, easy to tune, arm stays up on slow let down, reliable, and if ever needed there is a lifetime warranty.

Offline dlewis82nd

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
Don't over look the nap Apache! I have had 2 qad's a code red and a couple biscuits. I personally like my Apache the best out of all of them.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
  Both seem to have their pros and cons..i shot the buscuits on two bows for a long time and finally switched to the qad hunter dropaway..shot fine the first year on my bow but then my accuracy just kept openg up and a few of my arrows would fly differently..then noticed the black smudges on the lower two vanes from the rest contacting the arrows. some how and that was enough for me..went back to the bisquit on that bow but tried the nap quicktune 360 i believe its called on another bow..both continue to work flawless..i don't mind tweaking things on my equipment but i don't like my rest to maybe need to be tweaked or adjusted..i shoot feathers and vanes 4"-2" and do nor and tear any unusal wear and tear on them..I've heard other people talk about whisker biscuits chewing up feathers .....I'm wondering if they are using the correct insert in the rest for proper clearance.

Offline zeus26

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »
I shot a G5 Expert II and didn't care for the lack of arrow containment.  Arrow would fall off if I drew back and had to let back down. Switched to a TrophyTaker Smackdown FC (full containment) and love it.

I, too, shot a WB before switching to drop aways.  My accuracy and ability to group arrows improved, and my vanes stopped getting messed up from going through the whiskers.

I shoot 2" blazers for deer, and 4" feathers on my turkey arrows.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:06:46 PM by zeus26 »

Offline Seiler

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »
I have been shooting a Ripcord Code Red. On my new set up I'm going to try the new Ripcord SOS version. Love it

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
I use the Limbdriver Pro V and couldn't be happier with it.  Dead quiet and accurate.  Plus, most rests use a spring to pull the rest out of the way but the limbdriver uses the spring to raise the rest and the cord to pull the rest down and out of the way.  This is quicker and allows the arrow to remain on the rest longer than most drop away rests.  Check out the video on their site..
http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/arrow%20rests/

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »
I use the Limbdriver Pro V and couldn't be happier with it.  Dead quiet and accurate.  Plus, most rests use a spring to pull the rest out of the way but the limbdriver uses the spring to raise the rest and the cord to pull the rest down and out of the way.  This is quicker and allows the arrow to remain on the rest longer than most drop away rests.  Check out the video on their site..
http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/arrow%20rests/

I've been using this rest for maybe 5 yrs. I have to agree...I think it's the best rest out given it doesn't affect tuning and is simple and easy to adjust. I do have a cable made to match my bowstring so that does away with the set screw in the cable. Warning...If you use the set screw put a piece of lead shot or crumpled up aluminum foil (in a ball shape) in the set screw hole before putting the set screw in...It'll save you from cutting the limb cable...

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »
I shot code red, went to QAD Ultra then switched back to ripcord. Both are great rests. I find the ripcord easier to tune. I think it is quieter although I have no proof. It falls quicker but both fall fast enough for most bows. Full containment is the only reason I would shoot WB. I can shoot quarters at 20 yards with a WB. I can shoot asperin with a drop-away.