OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP  (Read 134923 times)

Offline ground control

Re: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
Got a couple dumb questions. One, I've looked on the bottle of the stuff I bought and I can't see where it says if it's petroleum based or not, so how do I tell? Two, what's the harm if it is as long as it dries before use?
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »
I called the manufacturer of Dur-Vet Permethrin 10 and spoke with there sales person.  He informed me that many agricultural products are oil based to aid sticking.  Use on clothing would result in stained clothing and long drying time and wasn't recommended.  Also some agricultural products also contain Piperonyl Butoxide(PBO) which is toxic.

I then purchased DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon which claims to be the only EPA registered permethrin 10% concentrate approved for use on clothing.  It is intended for use as a soak but I deluted it to .5% and use it as a spray like Sawyers.  It is $30 for 8 oz.  Mixed 20 to 1 it will make 168 oz of .5% spray or equal to 7 of the 24 oz bottles of Sawyers. Thats $30 vs $90.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:59:27 PM by Skeeterbait »

Offline Odessa

• Eastern NC
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
Skeeterbait - very informative - thank you!
“I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment.”
Archibald Rutledge

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »
I bought a Quart from Revival Animal Health Online. I don't know if it is water or oil based but it has not hurt or stained my clothes.

I was worried that this home made spray would not protect like the store bought stuff but it does. I spray everything the night before as I want it well dried before it touches my skin.
I find it works very well on skeeters too but of course they will still bite unprotected skin.

I have been experimenting with reapplying it to my Thermacell pads too but it is too early to know for sure how well it works. It seemed to be fine the few times I used it last deer season but this spring will be a better test.
(I refill the butane cartridges also. I am cheap)

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
Do you know what the shelf life of the permethin 10% is?

Material Safety Data Sheet on Sawyers Permanone Spray lists the shelf life as 4 years.

Offline hoyt

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »
I went behind the house to listen this afternoon and when I got back had a small tic on my waist. First one this yr and real early. Saw my first snake of the yr. also. Heard about 5 gobblers sound off at 6:00pm. Southern Illinois.

Going to go to town and see if Rural King has the water base...if not will order some from Amazon. The ticks were terrible around here last yr. I know I picked close to 100 off me. If I don't have lime disease I guess I can't get it.

Offline OldMarine

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:04 PM »
Will it work on chiggers also?

Yes, works well on crawlers like chiggers and ticks.  Not real effective against fliers like mosquitoes.  Just remember, do not let it contact the skin in wet form.  Never apply directly to skin.  Treat clothing and allow to throughly dry.  Will last at least 2 weeks even if you wash the clothing.  This stuff is technically a nerve agent.  use it stictly as instructed on the clothes treatment version and do not mix it any stronger.  For some strange reason the stuff is highly toxic to cats so do not let your wife's lap warmer come in contact with it or you will be in the dog house.

Too many people use  insect repellents like h2o,but scientist think  it's likely  that bug spray's are connected to Parkinson's disease and other brain related diseases.I use the stuff made from eucalyptus  leaves and it works.

Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent

* The first truly effective, plant-based insect repellent on the market, Repel Lemon Eucalyptus has been proven to be effective against mosquitoes, deer ticks and no-see-ums for up to six hours.
    * Derived from Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, a renewable resource, this non-greasy lotion and pump have a pleasant scent and are perfect for the whole family.
    * Oil of lemon eucalyptus, in addition to DEET and Picaridin, has been recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for effective protection against mosquitoes that may carry the West Nile virus. Repel Lemon Eucalyptus is the only personal insect repellent product commercially available in the US made with oil of lemon eucalyptus.

“Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so.” – Ronald Reagan

Offline hoyt

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
Can anyone tell me if this is water based? I already picked 3 tics off my body in the last two days and it ain't even time for them yet....MAKE THAT 4...JUST PICKED ANOTHER ONE OFF MY LEG AS I WAS TYPING THIS!

Permethrin

Quart

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
Oil based

bird

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
Guys I think this has to be one of the most valuable and informative threads that I have seen and if you all don't mind I am going to move this thread to the "Turkey Hunting Tips ,Strategies & Methods" section of the site and make it a sticky.  I believe the information that is in this thread is too valuable to eventually become lost.

Thanks for all the great information

bird

bird

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
Is pyrethrin the same thing as permethrin?  I found this at our local Blains Farm and Fleet store.  

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/136583-pyrethrin_aqueous_fly_spray.html?lref=%2fcatalog%2ffind.aspx%3ft%3dpermethrin

I think I am going to take a close look at this stuff.....

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/193687-insectrin_10_concentrate.html?lref=%2ffarm_livestock%2fanimal_health%2finsecticides_rodenticides%2fag%2f
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:48:13 PM by bird »

bird

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
Here is one that I found at TSC but after reading the label it contains Piperonyl Butoxide.  

Make sure you read the labels folks.... I would hate to hear of someone poisoning themselves.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/insect-repellents/ultrashield-residual-horse-insecticide-repellent-1-gallon-5024091
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:47:34 PM by bird »

Offline Akish79

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
Shoot, the last stuff I got from Rural King is oil based...

Thanks,

Andy

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Is pyrethrin the same thing as permethrin?  

Best I understand, pyrethrin is natuarally occuring compounds in plants like  chrysanthemums that naturally repel insects, but they biodegrade and become inert when exposed to sunlight.  Permethrin is a synthetic compound similar to pyrethrin.

From Wikipedia:

The pyrethrins are a pair of natural organic compounds that have potent insecticidal activity. Pyrethrin I and pyrethrin II are structurally related esters with a cyclopropane core, (+)-trans-chrysanthemic acid in the case of pyrethrin I.[1][2] They differ by the oxidation state of one carbon. They are viscous liquids that oxidize to become inactivated. They are non-persistent, being biodegradable, and break down on exposure to light or oxygen. The chemical structure of pyrethrins is the basis for a variety of synthetic insecticides called pyrethroids such as bifenthrin, permethrin, and cypermethrin.