OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single shot turkey getters

Started by jmasters, March 26, 2013, 04:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmasters

Here's my idea, i have a H&R 20ga pardner that sits unused. I'm wanna turn this into a turkey getter for friends who wanna go and hunt with me on occasion, or if it turns out well my self ;). I talked to H&R about a new vent rib topper trap w/ screw-in choke 12 ga barrel. they have them and I'm sending my receiver to them this week. anyone out there in OG land have something like this they use? and what after market chokes would you recommend? thank you for any help with this. John   

Grouse870

I had the topper deluxe classic with that barrel. I got rid of it and wished i had it back. Good gunn

BrowningGuy88

My hunting buddy uses a Pardner 20 with a 22" Modified barrel with the Federal HWT's and it patterns nicely to 35 yards. He killed his first bird with it Saturday morning.

mad815

Photo is of my single shot turkey NEF . I bought this shotgun as a regular 12ga. and sent the receiver to H&R for a 12 ga. tube with a screw in choke.  It will take 3  1/2 " but I usually use 3" shells.   I sent it back again to H & R to install a 20ga. tube with a screw in Choke.    The Photo is of the 20 ga.    I use Undertaker chokes in both the 12ga. and 20ga.  -- I'm kinda hooked on the 20ga. with Federal #7 heavyweight flite control.   I own 3 turkey shotguns but this utility gun has become the one I use the most.  I will switch from 20 ga. to 12 ga. every once in awhile to give each a chance, so one Ga. will not get jealous of the other. No problem taking toms at 40 yds.         Web

Michigander

I'm building one right now. I bought a single shot 20 ga. Rossi and had Sumtoy thread it for chokes and lengthen the forcing cone. I'm expecting it back anyday now.  :blob10:

jmasters

Great stuff, thanks for the responses! It put a fire under my butt now to get this thing up and going.

jmasters

What length barrel you have on the 12 ga mad815?

mad815

Total length minus the choke is 24" for the 12ga. and 27 1/2" for the 20ga. --- When I first started to use the 12 ga. with 3 1/2 " # 6   I filled the butt stock with lead weights to add weight plus I bought a Shooters Friend recoil pad. --- It will bite ya pretty bad when ya pull the trigger.   I have switch over to the 3" , took the weight out and never looked back.      If your 20ga. is regular full choke without a screw in choke you might try buying a box of Federal #7 heavyweight with flite control.   It may surprise you on the pattern.    Web

jmasters

I will give that a try this weekend mad815, thanks for all the info. Does your 12 out perform your 20? Any advantage to the 12 over the 20? I'm sending my 20ga to h&r this week and they have a bunch of the 20ga tubes, but i was thinking on having them put a 12ga tube on instead of a 20. Your thoughts on this?     

mnbeardbuster

jmasters

Wow... Very nice! All 12s or is there a 20ga in the mix ? And any advantage to your 12 over your 20ga?

mnbeardbuster

Bottom is a 20.  The others excluding the rifles are 12's.

I have a Pure Gold .555 on the 20 with Hevi 7's and the 12's have TruGlo "Bansner's" .665 or Mad Super Max .675 chokes which I shoot 3" Win XRHD 6's.

jmasters

What kind of patterns you gettin with your 12s over your 20?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIt will bite ya pretty bad when ya pull the trigger.

A 3" 1 7/8 Ounce Shell in an NEF / H&R Single will rock your world.

A 3.5" Shell would make you pray for mercy.

mnbeardbuster

I'm not a number counter and take in all the info that others post here.  I want my guns to give me even patterns at 30 to 40 yds and feel confident knowing my gun can cleaning kill that gobbler.  The 12's have killed birds from 7 steps to 50 yds and these are one shot kills.  I did try a Jelly Head .660 but in these guns with the Win XRHD's the pattern was blown.  Others with different guns have said the Win XRHD like a tighter choke but just not this gun.  If you can find them the Bansner TruGlo chokes shoot better than the new Gobbler Extreme's.  I haven't tried a .670 so I don't know how they would pattern as an in between option.

The 20 is a solid 35 yd gun and has suited my daughter well.  I didn't put a lot of time into chokes.  My options are limited to Trulock threading.  I have another receiver that I hope to send into Remington in the future and have the 20ga vent rib installed for myself and that will give me more choke options with the Invector threading. 

Good luck.  I hope this helps.