OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Off to a bad start...need help with pattern

Started by cntrlPAlngbrds, March 24, 2013, 07:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cntrlPAlngbrds

It is just now warm enough in PA to go outside and shoot, and this past weekend I went out to pattern my gun. I have the rem. 870 predator/turkey with shurshot grip, truglo red dot sight,  the hevi-13 hevi shot choke tube, and I shot federal turkey thugs and Winchester supremes, both 3 1/2" #6 shot.

First, I shot at 20 yards with a small game load....dead on
Next, shot at 20 with the turkey thugs.....dead on
Moved out to 40 yards with turkey thugs.....20 hits in 10" ring, densest part of pattern was 6 inches low and 3 inches right.
Adjusted the red dot and shot again at 40......increased to about 60 hits in 10" circle.
Shot the Winchester supremes at 40.....approximately same amount of hits, but the densest part of pattern was off a little.

This was only a preliminary trip to knock the rust off and waste some ammo, but I don't like that I only got 60 hits at 40 yards.

Where do I even begin to start getting a better pattern?
Is it hurting me that my choke tube is for hevi shot and I'm not using that ammo?
At this point, I don't think that buying expensive ammo will help. I think I have a more fundamental problem, but I don't really know.

I need help, I hope I'm doing something wrong that's easy to fix, because I feel like I'm miles away from most of the guys and their patterns on here.

Appreciate any/all help fellas!

Philippe

It sounds like the choke may be blowing your pattern, find something a little less tight.

01Foreman400

Buy some Hevi-Shot #7's.  Your choke is made by the makers of Hevi-Shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

captin_hook

Give the choke that came with the gun a try. It works great for me.

nyhunter

No that choke is fine to shoot lead through. how big of a target are you shooting at? I use 30"X30" paper. I would also try the choke that came with the gun and see how the pattern looks. If all else fails try some H-13. My 870 like a tighter choke with lead, .655 kicks or even better the Rem. Ventilator choke.

lowoctane

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 24, 2013, 08:19:34 PM
Buy some Hevi-Shot #7's.  Your choke is made by the makers of Hevi-Shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agreed:

Remington Ventilators work well in yer rig for LEAD...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

davisd9

From what I have read the 3" turkey thugs are patterning better than the 3.5" overall.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

R AJ

You are shooting and then drawing your 10" circle around the densest part aren't you?

Nobody is drawing a circle and shooting at its center to come up with these 200+ counts.

Using lead on any of these loads at 40 yards 110 + is pretty good, 140s or so is exceptional .

FL-Boss

I always assume you draw the 10in FIRST and then shoot. That is way I always do it.. got 216 last week.

cntrlPAlngbrds

Quote from: RAJ on March 25, 2013, 10:47:23 AM
You are shooting and then drawing your 10" circle around the densest part aren't you?

Nobody is drawing a circle and shooting at its center to come up with these 200+ counts.

Using lead on any of these loads at 40 yards 110 + is pretty good, 140s or so is exceptional .

I draw a small 3" circle that I shoot at, and like I said I had to move my sight to get the densest part of the pattern to move up and right. To be honest though, I was only counting the hits in a 10" circle around my point of aim, and there were about 50-60 hits. Even so, I think the densest part of the pattern only had 70-80 hits in it, which is better but still not what it should be.

I'm going to give the gun a thorough cleaning this week. Unfortunately, we just got 5 inches of snow last night/this morning here in PA, so I don't know when I'll be able to go out and shoot again.

If I can get to 100 hits, I'll be more than satisfied, I just figured there might be something easy I'm not doing since my counts were so low.

cntrlPAlngbrds

I'm definitely trying the choke that came with it too, but I'll be a little pissed if I bought that hevi-shot choke for 50 bucks and it doesn't produce any better results. I guess that's life though.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: cntrlPAlngbrds on March 25, 2013, 11:10:39 AM
I'm definitely trying the choke that came with it too, but I'll be a little pissed if I bought that hevi-shot choke for 50 bucks and it doesn't produce any better results. I guess that's life though.

I'll help you if you will listen.  If you don't, then you'll be back where you were. 

We'll do this the cheapest way possible. 

First I would recommend you to order some Hevi-13 #7's from either Rogers Sporting Goods, Midway USA, or Midsouth Shooters Supply.  I think they all had them in stock last time I checked a few days ago.  If your gun is chambered for 3.5", I would go that route and get them.  From what I have seen, the heavier payload will only mean denser patterns.  I would buy at least 2 boxes.  You'll probably end up shooting a couple to test.  Don't forget you'll get $20 back on rebates if you use them from Hevi-Shot. 

Then I would buy the Rem Vetnilator .655 turkey choke.  Pay no mind to the lead only on the side of th choke.  It will cost you right at $24 to your door. 

Here's where you can get the choke. 

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm

You can thank me later. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now once you do this, I want you to get some big sheets of cardboard and I do mean big like at least 30" long and wide and bigger would only be better.  You'll need about say 4 of these just to be on the safe side.  Then tape measure off 40yds from tip of your choke to cardboard.  Now either put a sticker in the middle or tape a turkey taget to the cardboard.  After you shoot your shot, then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of your pattern.  Hopefully it will hit about dead center, but if way off then either use adjustable sights or dot sight or scope to move so your point of impact is centered over your point of aim.  With that choke and the 2..25oz #7's, I wouldn't doubt one bit that you will see patterns in around the 300 mark or so.  But after you find your densest pattern part of the pattern then draw a 20" circle and count those numbers as well.  500 or more shot from that load inside the 20" is what you are looking for in the 2.25oz load if your gun will shoot 3.5" shells.  I'm gonna say 520 would be about right. 

njdevilsb

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 25, 2013, 10:51:34 AM
I always assume you draw the 10in FIRST and then shoot. That is way I always do it.. got 216 last week.

The only problem with that if you are playing the "numbers game" is that the densest part of your pattern might not be 100% in the pre-drawn 10 inch circle.  If you just want to make sure your gun is hitting, shooting at pre-drawn circles is fine.  Your gun might be hitting just about perfect, but chances are if you tried to draw another 10" circle on that pattern now, after the shot, you could probably find an area that had more hits than that 216.  I'm not guaranteeing it, but it might be worth a shot if you were curious.  I know myself, I have drawn 3 different 10" circles on one pattern before trying to find the absolute densest part of the pattern.

FL-Boss

I see... yes I'm sure I could redraw that circle after the shot and get some more. But I'm not to concerned about the numbers game (as long as they stay above 200) more the overall pattern and POA being correct....since it does change with every choke / load.