turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug?

Started by beagler, March 24, 2013, 06:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagler

Well I just picked up a Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug for my 7yr old daughter. I'm looking for some info on a turkey choke for this gun, any suggestions? Does the 500 tubes fit the 510? I plan on having her shoot Hevi 13's in either #6 or #7's.
Also I see the receiver is drilled/tapped. Was wondering if the picatinny rail that fits the Mossberg 500 will fit the 510? Might put a red dot on it for her.
Never Misses

Onpoint

IC throws up good numbers but I prefer the Sumtoy and pure gold chokes for good even hunting patterns. If I was you id prolly call William at sumtoy. That's what I have in my gun. JH and SSX are
Good chokes too.

nogoodreezen

I second the sumtoy. William will work with you to get exactly what you need.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Chilly

I just bought one of these for my kids.  I shot the 1 1/8oz Fed HW #7's through it.  At 35 yards with the factory full choke it is shooting a even 19 - 20" pattern.  That full choke measures .590.  I also shot the Tru Glo Gobble Stopper Extreme which measures .570.  Both chokes shot almost identical at that range.  I am just going to let them use the factory full.
The package the GSX choke came in said Mossberg 505 and 510... it also had another gun it was compatible with but I forgot what it was.
Word of advise, this little gun is hard to hold for an adult as far as pattering goes.  Make sure you get your thumb off the top of the gun when you pull the trigger.  I promise you it will bust your nose.... 
Good luck this season....
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

davisd9

A PG .570 will make that thing rock.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gophert

Just a suggestion, do not let your 7 yr old daughter shoot a 3" Federal or Hevi shell.  It is going to pop her pretty good.  You definitely want to get her the 2 3/4 Fed HW #7's or maybe some light lead load. My daughter started hunting at 9 and all I would ever let her shoot was light dove loads, then put the turkey load in when we hunting.  She killed her first turkey with this load without any problems. The range however is really only about 30 yards which will be plenty for a young hunter.  Good luck and thanks for getting your daughter involved in turkey hunting. 

old3toe

Hey guys just thought i would share my experiences with the mini bantam shotgun..its a great little gun but i didn't buy mine for kids but for me!! This thing is sooo fun and compact its one of my favorite turkey guns..when they first came out a few years ago i grabbed one which was black synthetic..i already had a super bantam and thought i could get this smaller and handier gun to shoot to..and maybe be better..this little gun does have some recoil and i understand kids don't need the 3" recoil..i put a six position stock on it along with a scope base and red dot sight..it deffinitely gets the job done!! The adjustable stock might be something for you guys to try..i can change it for any size kid and up to adult size in a flash and the pistol grip helps with recoil whether from light loads all the way up to the 3" loads..i shoot two chokes in it and two or three different loads in it..i shoot a .575 carlsons with 3" magnum blends or nitro 4.5.7 shot or an indian creek.555 with nitro straight 7 shot or hevi 13 7 shot..this little gun wiill takem out to 45 yards all day long..and farther honestly..i don't shoot past 40 yds but if i needed to shoot 48-52 the pattern is there..i got lazy and haven't done the numbers like i usually do with my turkey guns..i did check my patterns with these loads at 42 yds with range finder and had anywhere fm 110-130 hits in the 10" and patterns were super even..i have more loads to try i just haven't taken .the time..it

old3toe

I liked this setup so much i parted with the super bantam..yes i do get made fun of at times for carrying a kids gun but normally when I'm carrying this baby I'm also carrying a nice gobbler as well!!lol I'm sure the fed hvywgt will shoot nice in the ic 555 as well I'm just having trouble finding them..with the prices going up ill probably be doing a lot of patterning with lead before long..also a heads up about the nitro shells..the newest 3" 20 ga hulls were longer than the previous ones i had been shooting!! they were hanging in the 500 super bantam and the 510 mini..i checked the old and new hulls and there was a noticable difference in the fired hull length..i switched back to the magnumblends myself and hevi 13 7's..

surehuntsalot

sounds like there ought to be some birds in serious trouble out there
good luck
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gut Pile

Thanks for posting this info, I will be setting up my mini this Friday, I will be setting it up for my daughter but I plan on using it after youth weekend the rest of the season. The gun just feels right for me, and this coming from a guy who has a 930 and a 935.
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation