Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

He had dreams of being a Feathered Superman

Started by FullChoke, March 23, 2013, 02:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

This morning I woke up and checked WeatherUnderground online to see how long the storms would hold off and whether I needed to bring a rain suit with me to the woods. It looked like the color on the radar was north of me, so off I went.

I made the 25 minute drive to the closest WMA to the house, checked in and took off walking. I knew that I needed to be on the other side of this particular slough very early. I hit the slough, which had puddles of water and mud in it, and started slipping across trying to keep my boots from "schlucking" mud with each step. Just as I was about to hit dry ground on the far side he hammered for the first time that morning, and he was close. I mean like double-digit yards close. I pulled up my mask, dropped my seat and slithered up to a tree just in front of me and plopped down half in the mud. He continued gobbling and after a while I was sure that he was now on the ground. I estimated that he was about 70-80 yards away and that's when he really got cranked up. He would gobble and double gobble at any and all noises in the woods. Owls, crows, woodpeckers, songbirds, cars driving by, everything got him going. He cut me off twice when I clucked at him. I kept waiting for him to show up, but he seemed to have paid for that 9 square yard piece of property that he was not budging from. One hour and 10 minutes after he first gobbled and 62 gobbles later, I heard something and watch him SAIL OFF OF THE ROOST and land in front of me! I was certain that he had been on the ground all along, but all of the modulations that I heard were him moving around on the limb. Directly I see him making his way towards me, but I had to hold off on shooting until I could visually verify the length of his beard. Just as I finally made out the swinger under him, he stepped behind a tree at about 30 yards. I moved the red dot to the left side of the tree and waited, and waited and waited. I could see his tail to the right of the tree, but he had stopped for some reason known only to turkeys. He gobbled 5 times out of sight right in front of me behind that tree. I was worried that he would blithely and randomly stroll off without offering me a shot, when suddenly a miracle straight from God Almighty occurred! I heard wings and looked up just in time to see a large redtailed hawk come sailing in and land on a branch just above him. I saw the gobbler fan his tail, let out a challenging cluck, take two quick steps to the right from behind the tree and walk right into the red dot.

The shot was academic at that point. The #9 TSS handload performed it's magic trick, turning the future feathered Mr. Universe into a future sandwich. I walked over to him, quietly kneeled down and started choking up while I thanked God for the life of this glorious game bird and for the opportunity that He has afforded us in this country to hunt them. I checked him over quickly, he had an 8.125" beard and two short spurs which translates to a classic 2 year old turkey, in spite of his 4 year old gobbler performance this morning. His weight was a surprise though, he clocked in at 18 lbs, 12 oz. making him easily the heaviest 2yo gobbler I have had the honor to whack.

I have a friend that loves to say that public land birds (especially in MS) taste so much sweeter. I agree 100%. This homeboy will hold the honored spot at our dinner table this evening as we enjoy the original beastly fast-food. Hmmmmmmm.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I love this magnificent sport!

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

Congrats Norm on the hard earned trophy!
Putting us on the board :you_rock:

gophert

Right on Norm!!!!!   At least we are not skunked!!! 

surehuntsalot

congrats Norman,I guess you are going to have to come down and show me what I am doing wrong
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Sand Man

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

spurz