OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth hunters

Started by gob09, March 22, 2013, 10:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gob09

I have found a young man that is ten years old to take hunting this weekend the only kid ive ever taken is my daughter im looking for pointers on taking a kid hunting thats not mine

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

wvcurlytop

Treat him like he's your own.  Many memories we make as kids are cherished long afterwards the ones we made those hunting memories with have passed on.  Be the kind of hunter that will be remembered, as well as a mentor.  Be patient, and remember most kid's first hunting experiences influence how many times they will go again, so try to have some fun too.  The killing of a bird isn't the most important thing, but rather the learning about, and observing nature while nestled under the protective shadows of a tree, and learning the ways of a turkey hunter is what is important.  If luck would have a gobbler come in, remember you're dealing with a ten year old kid, not a seasoned professional, and if things fall apart don't start ranting and raving about how you could have killed it so easy if you were alone.  No one likes to be belittled, nor to have their failures rubbed in their noses.  We ALL had to learn, and all of us made our fair share of mistakes along the way. 

Ah the memories this post has brought back, I remember being that ten year old kid tagging along with my uncle.  If one could only rewind time and go back and re-live those hunts of long ago.  Be the kind of mentor that will be cherished in time.  Both of you will have something to remember as the years roll by then..  Just my 2 cents worth..

kevin2

I had one of my dad's best friends take me fishing & hunting lots when I was that age. He had 8 girls & no sons, so I was the stand in! He showed me how to do everything from Safety issues, to cleaning a fish, gutting a dear, and how to breast out a Woodcock without a knife.

Safety these days is at the top of the list I'd think. Safety. Respect for the outdoors, the laws, and yourself would be on top of my list, as it is with my own kids.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

remmy1187

Dont push them too far, dont over do it,  and most important HAVE FUN!!!  If they dont enjoy it they may not want to do it again.  Good luck

gob09

hey guys thanks for all the pointers i have learned a few things from the posts above
the weather was really crudy over youth week end and we didnt get to go so hopefully this yr. we can go after a bird