Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Jr hunt in Cali tomorrow

Started by Hayudog, March 22, 2013, 10:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

My wife has accused me of extending hunting season any way I can.  This year my duck hunting partner was shooting sporting clays with an older gentleman who said he would like his grandson to have a chance to hunt ducks.  That led to us taking Kyle out hunting ducks about 20 times.  Respectful young man, and he doesn't claim every bird that falls out of the sky.  Its been a kick to be with a new hunter again.
Anyway, tomorrow is his first turkey hunt.  California opens their season for 2 days the weekend before the general season.  He drew a good public land hunt- Grey Lodge State Wildlife area.  Bad news is that he only got a Saturday hall pass from his parents.  I've never hunted the area before, and only found one person thru my contacts that has hunted it for turkeys.  So, its a get it done in one day type thing. 
Hope to post up a dead bird a dead bird on the "Guns and Hoses" team site, even if its not one for the score board. 

RutnNStrutn

WildSpur

Cluck more, yelp less

Hayudog

Tough day. Wind was blowing 25 and birds once off the roost were dead quiet.  Made 2 moves and finally had one come take a look.  Kyle made a good shot, he had to stand up and shoot- bird came in behind us.  His first turkey.  19 1/2 pounds, 9 inch beard and 3/4" spurs.  I was worried. First time on this public area, and we were striking out on the roost.  The old adage-  Sit and stay- make em pay.  I had a good time sharing with a new turkey hunter!  At the check in station a couple of guys were giving the " I'm not going to say where I'm going" routine.  I said, listen, I dont want to hunt next to you either.  Lots of room. Lots of birds. Lets just go different directions.  At the end of the day, most jrs got it done.

A good bird. Thanks to Jr turkey hunt options. 

land cruiser

TWOWITHONE

TURKEYWHACKER

Nice turk, congrats to the young man and to you for making it happen.

WildSpur

Wtg!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

RutnNStrutn

That's awesome!! :you_rock: I love seeing the youngsters get in on it. :icon_thumright: They are the next generation of hunters and gun owners!! :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an