Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Difference in point of impact between lead and hevi-shot....

Started by beards-n-bone, March 20, 2013, 09:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beards-n-bone

Have my Stoeger lined up and ready to go with Winchester #6's lead.  I am going to get a box of hevi-shot number 6s because I know they pattern better.  Have a Fastfire ii on my gun.  What has been your guys experience in lead vs hevi?  Do they generally hit high or low compared to lead?

WildSpur

I dont recall a change with #6 Hevi in any of my guns.  Magblends though hit high left IIRC in my 835.  Thats was the only load I had an issue with.

Cluck more, yelp less

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I haven't seen much difference in POI with my 870 or BPS. 

The 870 shoots straight enough L to R with all loads (sometimes an inch or two to the R), and anywhere from dead-on to 3" high of POA with all loads.  I'm not sure that any difference between loads and patterns over the years can't be attributed to me.

The BPS shoots straight enough L to R with all loads, and about 4" to 6" high of POA with all loads.  I'm not sure that any difference between loads and patterns over the years can't be attributed to me.

budtripp

I haven't noticed a difference with either my SBE2 or my 11-87. Doesn't mean it can't happen though I suppose.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Gobblestik

I have an IC choke that will shoot straight w/ lead but TSS and HTL loads it shoots low and right. With a different choke the TSS and HTL hits straight.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: beards-n-bone on March 20, 2013, 09:31:57 AM
Have my Stoeger lined up and ready to go with Winchester #6's lead.  I am going to get a box of hevi-shot number 6s because I know they pattern better.  Have a Fastfire ii on my gun.  What has been your guys experience in lead vs hevi?  Do they generally hit high or low compared to lead?

I have not seen any differences in windage (using same gun/choke combination) but I have seen difference in elevation. The standard Hevi-13 shell has a 1090 published muzzle velocity and when shooting higher velocity lead loads, from 1225 to 1300 published muzzle velocity, I've seen those shells have a lower point of impact at 40 yards, than the Hevi-13 shells.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

beards-n-bone

Well wouldnt you know it.  I hit low left with lead so I bought a fastfire ii sight and put it on with the speed bead mount to correct POI.  A friend recently bought a 3.5 inch gun and had 4 hevi 13 number 6's in 3 inch so I bought them.  Turns out they hit true with my gun and I didnt need to buy the fastfire sight (glad I did tho).  Now what to do.....buy 70 dollars worth of hevi shot and re-sight, or just keep shooting lead.  Dont field hunt much so my pocketbook says LEAD!!!

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

Isomaad

My 930 with an IC choke shoots same POI with Hevi-13 #7 and Turkey Thugs #6.

FttFttVroom!

When sighting in my new gobble dot on my 870, I hit low and right with everything.  Now it hits about an inch or two high dead center with no matter what I run through it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I found out Sat that the 3.5" magblends shoot a little off from the 3.5" #7's, but not much.  I had my 835 with the Tasco dot site shooting deadnut with the 3.5" 7's.  I shot a 3.5" Hevi-13 2.25oz #6 and it shot high and little to the right, and 3.5" 1.75oz Hevi-13 #5 shot just about deadnut but a hair high.  I was shooting out of a gun rest.

Longshanks

:mycross:
Quote from: beards-n-bone on March 20, 2013, 09:31:57 AM

I have seen POA/POI problems with my Xtrema, two 870's and one 870SM. These guns shot on the money with lead..sights had to be added to shoot HTL.