Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Anyone got started yet?

Started by spitndrum, March 19, 2013, 02:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitndrum

Seen 50-75 birds sunday and a few strutters with em ready for the juvenile weekend this coming weekend but there not ready ofcourse.  Has anyone been to bama, florida, mississippi?

whiskey

I did opening weekend in Alabama. The birds were still bunched up. Wasn't able to call a tom away. Unfortunately they were roosted off the property and did come our way those three days. Our fields and creek banks were full of tracks, so I know they had been on our side of the fence, just not while we were there.

They gobbled decent on the limb and just after fly down. A few hens were vocal.

Looking forward to this weekend, but don't have real high hopes of hot birds. It's just a little cold and a little early.

TNTOM

I hunted North MS (Walnut) last weekend and I would agree that it's still a little early.  They weren't gobbling much on the roost and it was all quiet by 7:15 or 7:30.  Like Wiskey said, they're still bunched up but they seem to be in smaller groups than a few weeks ago when I was scouting.  I found a few singles that wanted to play but I covered a lot of ground looking for them.  I was fortunate enough to take a bird Saturday and another Sunday.  I posted a couple pictures on the kill thread.

joshua

Checked on the birds Sat. and Sun. at the river. Sat. heard 2 birds on the roost and only 1 gobble on the ground. Went to the exact same spot Sun. and heard at least 8 different birds. They seemed to be roosted apart and at flydown met up in the middle of the bottoms. Only heard 1 hen yelping during all their gobbling. They gobbled good up until around 8am then they shut it down. Gonna check on them again in a week. I believe our season is gonna come in just right on the 1st of April.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

ghillie

Starting it off tomorrow morning in NE with stick and string!  Snowing right now here in Iowa City...could be cold in the AM!!

bustinbirds

Been hunting here in Mississippi and its been slow. Very little gobbling, did get on a bird this morning 70 yards is as close as he got. Taking a road trip up to Tennessee in a couple weeks to hunt with Westtnhunter we got drawn for LBL and we'll hunt some private land also.
Lifelong member of The Tenth Legion

Roost 1

Tagged out in TN with pics posted.
Looking forward to KY opener this weekend.

spitndrum

Roost 1

ghillie

Went to SoDak with Bird and another gent this week.  Bird and I both shot doubles in the first few hours of getting there.  Bob busted a head Monday.  We got pushed out by the blizzard on Tues.  not high scoring birds, low 50's but it sure was nice to get a couple under the belt to start the year.   I will post up some pics when my computer is working!  Be safe gents!