turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobblin Thunder .675

Started by bowAddiction, March 18, 2013, 10:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowAddiction

Ok, I shot my mossberg 835 today with a Gobblin thunder .675 choke and am really unimpressed. All shots were at 40yrds. I'm going to check at academy tomorrow and see it they have any ssx or carlson chokes. Anyone have any recommendations for me to try? I just got the gun and this will be my first year turkey hunting. Thanks for any guidance your able to provide.

bowAddiction

bowAddiction

next one. All are 8" circles

Philippe

Correct me if i am wrong but are you shooting those awful hornady as? If so ditch them and try some federal turkey thugs or winchester supreme in 6's. Im not a fan of kicks chokes but those hornady shells are awful! With a shell/choke change you should shoot alot better.

If you have the coin i would invest in a SSX, Indian Creek or a Pure Gold, and get that barrel properly deep cleaned and polished if you already havent done it.

bowAddiction

Yea I had picked up a box without researching them. They only had a few different kinds at the store when I stopped. Thanks for the suggestions I'm definately going to try a new choke this evening and some more shells.

Rockhound

Quote from: bowAddiction on March 19, 2013, 08:32:38 AM
Yea I had picked up a box without researching them. They only had a few different kinds at the store when I stopped. Thanks for the suggestions I'm definately going to try a new choke this evening and some more shells.

Shoot at a 3' x 3' sheet of paper and see where your pattern is the core of your pattern is going off the target.

SgtUSMC

Agree with the above,

I don't care what shell you're shooting, there's now way those targets are showing you the core of your pattern.  Theres just soo many more pellets in any of the loads you posted, even the Hornady's than whats on your target.  If you're gun was shooting ten inches either way you would never know without shooting at a big piece of paper. 

In each of those targets you showed, there's a couple hundred pellets that went somewhere else besides the target.... Never know, that choke might be shooting an awesome pattern, might just need a POI adjustment. 

Shoot at big paper before you spend any more money

captin_hook

Quote from: SgtUSMC on March 19, 2013, 10:52:14 AM
Agree with the above,

I don't care what shell you're shooting, there's now way those targets are showing you the core of your pattern.  Theres just soo many more pellets in any of the loads you posted, even the Hornady's than whats on your target.  If you're gun was shooting ten inches either way you would never know without shooting at a big piece of paper. 

In each of those targets you showed, there's a couple hundred pellets that went somewhere else besides the target.... Never know, that choke might be shooting an awesome pattern, might just need a POI adjustment. 

Shoot at big paper before you spend any more money

Great advice from all. I would definetly try the turkey thug shells along with bigger paper. Let us know how it goes.

WildSpur

Yea, definitely check you poi/poa.  I would move up to 20 yards.   Even a few inches off at that distance can throw you off considerably at 40.  Add in form flaws and you could completely miss.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Tom Foolery

Your choke is fine, the 675 Kicks will throw a good pattern, your ammo is terrible.

Keep the choke and try some different ammo.

bowAddiction

thanks for all the suggestions guys. I picked up some construction paper after work and found my poi was way off. I was hitting low and right. I aimed for the star in the upper left corner of the 10" circle in this pic and got a decent pattern. Now I guess I'm going to need a scope to correct his and some better shells to play with. The pics at 30yrds with the federal premiums. 150 shot in the circle. Little better than my 20 before.

ssettle

I use a KICKS choke in a 1300 win and it is a turkey killing machine. I tried nickle plated shot many years ago in a different gun but didn't hunt with them because the penetration was terrible. I shot at a target that had a 1/2 inch back board and found most of the pellets sticking in the surface of the wood...unbelievable. I also shot lead and it passed thru the board. The Nickle plated stuff was the Active brand  2 1/4 oz. I do know the shot didn't use a buffer. :morning:

bowAddiction

I noticed that with the nickel plated shot too. Thursday a buddy had a stick the size of your finger with a target on it at 40 yrds and there was shot in the stick that were just embedded the depth of the shot.

BandedSpur

You guys must be dreaming. Ni plated shot is just lead shot with a very,very thin plating of Ni. It will penetrate just as good as any other lead shot if not better. The only thing that really affects the penetrating ability of lead shot (other than size) is hardness and velocity. Hardness is determined by the amount of antimony mixed with the lead, the more the better (up to around 6%). Harder shot deforms less when it hits something hard, e.g. wood or bone. The harder shot will penetrate better because it doesn't flatten out as much. It may be that the underlying lead shot in the Activs was not good quality, high antimony shot. Or more likely, the velocity of those shells is lower due to the heavy payload. But a Ni plated lead pellet of similar antimony percentage as unplated lead shot will actually penetrate better, because the Ni plating hardens the pellet even more.