OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rainy Day Decoy Fan Project

Started by ElkTurkMan, March 06, 2011, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

A couple of weeks ago after our decoy thread on this page, I had forgotton about a jake moblie decoy I recieved last Valentines day as a gift from an old Girlfriend.  Since then I purchased a fan retrofit piece from Primos, where you could install real feathers.  Anyway this weekend was horrible whether wise and I decided to take it out of the box and spruce it up.  I had a jake decoy in the freezer and I plucked the tail feathers out.  Then I hot glued the smaller feathers to the larger tail feathers.  I think it turned out good.  I know it sounds funny, but I still may not use it.  I'll just have to see.  This year having some private ground to hunt may sway me in the direction to use him.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

harvester

unclerick

I use the real feathers from a jake in my B-mobile and they work great, wet weather is hard on them though, looks good man, use it.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

Looks like my Jake Mobile but you did a much better job, :z-winnersmiley:   Use it Shane!!  Esp. the first few wks. of the season.   You'll be blown away at how well they work.  I don't use a hen with mine and I always turn it facing away from where I think is the most likely place for my gobbler to come from.    I use a wing nut with mine to make it set up real quick and I usually just carry it made up if I know I'll hear something at dawn to use it on.   

I didn't have if with me the other day because it was going to be so windy and I won't carry it on my bike this wk. but will take it if we go in the buggy.   
Dan

turkeybow

Looks good man  :icon_thumright:  I did the same thing for my B-Mobile when I got it and I know it took a lot of work to do that!  Some just use the tail feathers but I used the extra feathers in front of them to make it more real like you.  It didn't take long for it to get roughed up so I got tired of B-Mobile and I got the Flambeau King Strut.  You can use a dried tail fan so it makes it easier when it comes to making one at least.  As long as you kill a bird or get someone to give you a tail fan.  You make think about transporting the fan but thats where the tailsaver comes in.  Bought one at the national convention a few years ago so I could tote my fans in the woods.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold