OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Just Back in the States- How do I score this one?

Started by Hayudog, March 18, 2013, 03:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Came back on the forum hoping the team would have kill shots posted!

Went to Curacao for a quick, before Turkey season starts, holiday with my wife.  We dove 4 days.  The dive master owns the shop and we were his only clients this week.  On the last 3 dives he asked if I wanted to shoot Lion Fish.  I said "hell yea".  Well, I shoot better with a shot gun.  He seemed never to miss.  3 years ago he saw his first Lion Fish.  He has now, speared over 9000.  They are an invasive species down there and no limit...my type of fun.  The reefs that we dove on the last dives we were only seeing about ten per dive.  Early in the week it seemed like 50 per dive.

Spines are about 4" long, and very poisonous and painful if you get stuck.  Excellent eating fish though.  Used shears to cut spines, and then cleaned as usual.

I have no idea how to score this one.  Spines/spurs about 4 ", no beard, and weight about a pound.  Looks like that salt water made my hair fall out!

Lion Fish when we didn't have a spear.

Deputy 14

NICE!!! I'd say you could find something on that ugly thing to score as a beard and spurs.

TWOWITHONE

RutNStruttin will guide you through the process of measuring your harvest. :TooFunny:

RutnNStrutn

Count the downard hanging fins as a beard, and the side fins as spurs!! The 1side pound weight is killing the score though!! LOL!! ;D