Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not trying to be smart but can Nitro company or users explain this.

Started by archdriver, March 18, 2013, 12:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archdriver

I  just  cut open a Nitro shell  which was  1 7/8 oz  of  #7 shot

The  total was precisely  646 pellets.

According to the pellet count chart on this  forum,,,, 

#7   lead       ( 1 7/8 oz )   would  be      548
#7   Hevi-13  ( 1 7/8 oz )   would  be      516
#7   Fed HW  ( 1 7/8 oz )   would  be      407

So  ,  how can  1 7/8 oz of  nitro   be  646 ??   (100 more pellets than  lead )

The  answer is  obviously,,,,   you  guys  are  shooting something much  smaller than  #7

ArchDriver

chipper

I've never shot nitro but always heard there 7's were really 7.5's, I bet they shot good patterns though.

ILIKEHEVI-13

As long as they work for the guys that shoot them, I guess that's all that matters.   

stinkpickle

The answer is obvious...  Nitro is stuffing MORE than 1 7/8oz of shot in there!    ;D

paboxcall

I don't shot Nitros, but curious to know what that payload of 646 pellets weighed.

Quote from: archdriver on March 18, 2013, 12:46:13 PM
I  just  cut open a Nitro shell  which was  1 7/8 oz  of  #7 shot

The  total was precisely  646 pellets.

According to the pellet count chart on this  forum,,,, 

#7   lead       ( 1 7/8 oz )   would  be      548
#7   Hevi-13  ( 1 7/8 oz )   would  be      516
#7   Fed HW  ( 1 7/8 oz )   would  be      407

So  ,  how can  1 7/8 oz of  nitro   be  646 ??   (100 more pellets than  lead )

The  answer is  obviously,,,,   you  guys  are  shooting something much  smaller than  #7
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Philippe

It could be do to the shot cup design and specific hulls they use in order to get that extra shot in there.

FloppinTom

Please weigh those 646 pellets and see if they are 1 7/8 oz.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Xcal1ber

Maybe the Nitro's are smaller than 7 shot? I know they both kill turkeys so thats all that matters.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

archdriver

Quote from: FloppinTom on March 18, 2013, 07:18:13 PM

I threw those pellets away,,, but I will gladly open another shell and take pictures and weigh the shot load.....

I dont mind killing turkeys with anything, but I want friends to know that all those pellet counts in a circle, might not be the same as another brand....  Apples and tangerines.

Might take a couple of days , but I will do it soon.

ArchDriver

surehuntsalot

7.5's  8's   9's and 10's are how you get those pellet #'s
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

01Foreman400

Quote from: archdriver on March 18, 2013, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: FloppinTom on March 18, 2013, 07:18:13 PM

I threw those pellets away,,, but I will gladly open another shell and take pictures and weigh the shot load.....

I dont mind killing turkeys with anything, but I want friends to know that all those pellet counts in a circle, might not be the same as another brand....  Apples and tangerines.

Might take a couple of days , but I will do it soon.

Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Old Gobbler

For years Nitro has been the whipping boy of turkey hunting internet - almost every time the thread turns south in short order

For what its worth , they will kill a turkey , and nobody is forcing anyone to use or not use them -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hookedspur

I use them with Great results !!!They are turkey killers  :newmascot:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Shellwaster

I shoot the Nitro 3"  triplex load of 4,5&7 and they out shoot (pattern density, consistency and range) than Hevi 13 #7. I've never cut into one and probably never will so I won't be counting and don't care how many pellets are in there as I know what can be expected.

I have cut into several Hevi 13 as well as the old Remington Heavy Shot and was surprised that the pellet counts were all over the place as the pellet sizes varied so much.  As a matter of fact a lot of the pellets looked like welding platter and you'd be hard pressed to find a half dozen round pellets in those early years. This maybe a reason I won't open one of my coveted Nitro's or it could be their price.

archdriver

Here is everything from a  new shell.... however, dont exactly know  how I  am  gonna  get  them
weighed accurately.    maybe  a  kitchen  scale , but dont  know  how accurate  that will be.

Let  me  be  clear,,,, I  am not diminishing the  effectiveness of you guys  that  shoot  nitro's.
It  is  clear that  a lot of  people love them and I am cool with whatever anybody  wants  to  hun with.  It  bugs  me , however that Nitro can  advertise something and then ship  something
which  does  not  conform as specified.    Pure  and  simple,,,  if something  is  heavier than
lead,  there will be  fewer pellets for  the  same weight and size pellet.   

People who  shoot amazingly  dense patterns should  realize  that the pattern coverage
is  a result  of  many  more smaller pellets than another brand.  so,  of course it  prints
a dense  pattern  with  fewer holes and looks good on paper.  Obviously, the smaller  shot
will penetrate thru  paper target, but  do  those  smaller shot  have  the  penetration that  you  think.   There  are a lot of  normal  looking  size  shot in the load that  will  certainly  kill
a  turkey. 

Yes, no one  is  forcing anybody  to  shoot or  not  shoot nitro's .  People, however should  have
an accurate understanding of  what  they are  shooting.   In the  case of nitro,,,,  the  number of  pellets is significantly higher than what you would  think. 

ArchDriver