Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening weekend

Started by FullChoke, March 18, 2013, 07:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Well, I am assuming that the absence of photos of dead birds means that the Mississippi boys were fruitless. I was able to get to the woods on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Saturday I worked a gobbler off of the roost and had him simply disrespect me and leave without dropping by for a booty call. Sunday I set up on the slough that he left on and had a Jake and 2 hens in my lap for 20 minutes, but no Senor Grande. I later called a hen across the slough that had started yelping at the sound of me walking in the leaves. Fun mornings, but no joy.

What did you guys see?

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Sand Man

Very slow here.  Saturday didn't hear a peep out of any birds.  Saw a strutter in a field with 8 hens around 10-11AM when we were driving home.  Very windy Saturday afternoon, so we didn't hunt.  Sunday AM again didn't hear a peep, but called up 3 hens.  Back to TX that afternoon.

This was central MS.  It's been very cold there in the AM's according to my BIL.  I think the turkeys are 1-2 weeks from getting fired up.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

FullChoke

I was very pleasantly surprised when I heard the gobbler. He hammered about 15 times on the roost and another 15 times on the ground. I really thought that I was gonna score as I had him gobbling at about 100 yards right down from me along the edge of a slough, but he played me and left out the backdoor.

This was on a WMA that gets a lot of amateurish pressure and the birds will shut all gobbling down soon.

Where were you in central MS?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Sand Man

Quote from: FullChoke on March 18, 2013, 10:42:25 AM
Where were you in central MS?

FC

Near Bay Springs, MS.  Had a friend take his wife on Saturday to his GF's farm.  She killed her first bird.  He said they were hammering on the farm.  Heard 5 different birds.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

surehuntsalot

friday morning.....nothing,not a peep
saturday morning.....no birds.....pack of 7 yotes and I met up as I was coming out of the woods,it was not 3 of them's morning to be out
sunday morning.....heard 5 different birds,but they did not get started up until around 8-8:30
between 8:30 and 10:30 heard alot of gobbling and finally put a bird in my partner's lap,but he couldn't get a clear shot,but tomorrow is another day
it's not the harvest,it's the chase