OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 and 40 yard differences

Started by strut-stopper, March 17, 2013, 09:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut-stopper

Ok guys so I sighted my 835 and mueller quick shot in at 15 yds the other day and had to wait to shoot at 40 because the range wouldn't let me shoot no further.  Finally found a place that let me shoot 40 and first cple shots at 40 were to the left. Adjusted sight to where pattern was centered at 40 but had a brain fart and dident check it again at 20. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to hold a little right on closer birds if I moved my sight to be on at 40   Anyone else have to do something similar with their sights or is the poi the same at 20 and 40

Number17

Your gun doesn't throw curveball patterns, but rather shoots in a straight line fashion as far as  left to right is concerned.
If you are centered at 40, you are centered at 20.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

strut-stopper

I sure hope so. Just can't figure out how when I sighted in at 15 and the fist size pattern that blew the targets head off that the pattern would be to the left at 40.  I even tried a cple shots to make sure I wasent pulling the shot. Adjusted dot over and next shot centered perfectly.  Had to adjust sight 5 clicks right to get centered at 40 so I can't help but think ill be shooting to the right at 15 to 20

Skeeterbait

OK... you have a 1 MOA sight adjustment meaning 1 click moves the point of impact 1 inch at 100 yards.  Each click moves the point of impact .4 inches at 40 yards and .15 inches at 15 yards.  So your 5 clicks moved your point of impact 2 inches at 40 yards but only .75 inch at 15 yards.  I doubt you will notice that 3/4 inch at 15 yards.

Rule of thumb, always set your sight at the maximum distance you intend to shoot as that is the distance aiming errors are most critical.  Sight adjustments have lesser effect the closer your target.

strut-stopper

Thanks skeeter that makes sense now. Sometimes you just have to someone explain it before you understand.