turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New mossberg 930 turkey choke shot recommendations

Started by drywallerdave, March 17, 2013, 03:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drywallerdave

Need your help men.  What do u recommend for the setup on my new turkey slayer... Any suggestions are very welcome.  Thankyou

Onpoint

Are you planning on shooting lead or HTL? My buddy has a 935 setup with a rhino choke that he shoots 3.5 HV #6's through. Its BAD for a lead combo. Another good lead choke for the mossberg is the kicks. As far as HTL Goes Sumtoy, IC, SSX, would be my top 3 in that order.

drywallerdave

allaboutshooting

Quote from: drywallerdave on March 17, 2013, 03:05:27 PM
Need your help men.  What do u recommend for the setup on my new turkey slayer... Any suggestions are very welcome.  Thankyou

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. First of all, congratulations on your new gun. It's a good one.

I've been shooting my 930 for quite some time now. I really like this gun. First of all, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. It really helps.

I tried a number of different chokes in my gun but the best patterns were with the SSX and Hevi-13 with 2 oz. of #6 shot.

The very best lead loads were the White Lightning shells with 1 5/8 oz. of #6 shot. They outperformed all the other lead shot loads I tried.

My 930 also has an excellent trigger. It's very crisp.

Good luck and please let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Isomaad

My 930 Turkey loves the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike .660 with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7.  I also have a SSX thanks to the Recommendation of Clark but haven't shot it yet.  I plan on trying the Hevi-13 6's and 7's, Winchester HV 6's and Federal Turkey Thugs 6's through the SSX when I get a chance.  I can't imagine beating the IC and Hevi-13 #7 combo but we shall see.  Congrats on your 930, it is a shooter.

drywallerdave

:welcomeOG: I will probably go with SSX... I see u guys shoot 6 shot. Why no 5 shot??? Is it ok to shoot 5 through a SSX CHOKE??? I have always used 5 but 6 seems the most popular.  Also I like the extra range you get from 5 shot as I have read 35 yards is about the limit with 6 shot. Or does hevi shot increase that ???   Thank you

allaboutshooting

Quote from: drywallerdave on March 20, 2013, 01:17:12 PM
:welcomeOG: I will probably go with SSX... I see u guys shoot 6 shot. Why no 5 shot??? Is it ok to shoot 5 through a SSX CHOKE??? I have always used 5 but 6 seems the most popular.  Also I like the extra range you get from 5 shot as I have read 35 yards is about the limit with 6 shot. Or does hevi shot increase that ???   Thank you
It's fine to shoot #5 shot through the SSX but #6 just seems to flow better through most guns and chokes. The swarm of #6 shot that hits the target transfers plenty of energy at 40 yards to cleanly kill a turkey, with a well placed head/neck shot.

Hevi-Shot products, like Hevi-13, do retain more energy at a given distance than traditional lead shot. They also shoot tighter patterns than lead.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."