turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice needed!

Started by youngun15, March 17, 2013, 12:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngun15

Long story short, had a gobbler fired up this morning at about 830 but could not get him to leave his strut zone before a few hens came through and took him away. Would it be a good idea to setup near this strut zone before he gets there? Or are they not that "patternable"? P.s. This will be my first turkey if I get him so any extra advice would be appreciated also!!
Thanks

EMSDJ2

I have slipped in directly underneath them under the cover of darkness a few times and have had great success. This does not always happen though, it only takes one breaking stick or a trip to ruin the hunt.  Good Luck!!

DirtNap647

usually they are patternable worth a try

dlewis82nd

Is set up in the strutt zone and don't over call.

Rio Fan

Try setting up in his strut zone.  If you don't kill him in the morning, try hunting him later in the day.  I've had several hunts where the hens took the gobblers away from me in the morning, but I slipped back in there in the middle of the day or even mid afternoon and the hens had left and the gobblers were still looking for love and responded really well to calling.  Good luck!

guesswho

I'm different on this one.  I wouldn't set-up in his strut zone, I'd set-up where him and then hens went when they left.  Probably 75-100 yards from his strut zone in the direction of their departure.  Good luck with however you approach it! 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff