OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Discontinued Chokes

Started by hawk, March 16, 2013, 09:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk

Dose anyone have experience with the older TruGlo Strut Stopper and Madd Super Max. Do they work well, exit dia.,etc. for Mos.,Win.,Inv.((not inv.+)) Tried doing a search fot the Strut Stopper and all i get is info. on the SSX which I have.

davisd9

The strut stopper extreme is the ssx.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hawk

You are correct, I have one.

cuppednlocked

I am currently using a truglo strut stopper that is 12+ years old.  Printed on the choke is TG150 by Bansner.

So far my best results have been with WinXX Mag 3.5" #6 out of an 870 SM 23", but I have not tested anything recently (since I bought the choke new).  That is changing this spring and I picked up some hevi13 blends and am going to try the 3.5" turkey thugs in a week or two.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

There was an earlier choke called a Strut Stopper.  Maybe a .665 exit diameter.  You don't see them too often anymore.

remmy1187

The MAD supermax can be a very good choke with the right loads.  It is seems to be very good in the Remingtons with 6 and 7 hevi shot.  If you have one give a try, if you can find one buy it.  They quit making them years ago so they are hard to find.

mikejd

Quote from: cuppednlocked on March 16, 2013, 10:16:17 PM
I am currently using a truglo strut stopper that is 12+ years old.  Printed on the choke is TG150 by Bansner.

So far my best results have been with WinXX Mag 3.5" #6 out of an 870 SM 23", but I have not tested anything recently (since I bought the choke new).  That is changing this spring and I picked up some hevi13 blends and am going to try the 3.5" turkey thugs in a week or two.

Different choke then the new SSX. It was designed by some one else. I did know but cant think of it. Clark gave the info. Im sure he will jump in and help out. That Banser might be my favorite choke. I have a few of them. I bought my first one atleast 15 yrs ago. Thing shoots like a champ.

cuppednlocked

Quote from: mikejd on March 18, 2013, 07:03:01 PM
Different choke then the new SSX. It was designed by some one else. I did know but cant think of it. Clark gave the info. Im sure he will jump in and help out. That Banser might be my favorite choke. I have a few of them. I bought my first one atleast 15 yrs ago. Thing shoots like a champ.

Sorry if I mis-read, but did the OP not ask for info regarding the older chokes?  Mine is one of the older ones.  IIRC I bought it ~'98.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: hawk on March 16, 2013, 09:11:31 PM
Dose anyone have experience with the older TruGlo Strut Stopper and Madd Super Max. Do they work well, exit dia.,etc. for Mos.,Win.,Inv.((not inv.+)) Tried doing a search fot the Strut Stopper and all i get is info. on the SSX which I have.

Sorry, I just saw this. Mark Bansner designed a choke for Truglo many years ago and it looked very similar to the Gobble Stopper. You can see pictures of the current offerings here http://truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=30900?company=TGI
If that's the choke you have it may be the older Bansner choke. I have several of those and they are hard to find today. They are very good chokes and highly prized by users and choke collectors alike.
I've had good results with those and with the current Gobble Stopper. It has an e.d. of .665.

The MAD (Mark Allen Drury) chokes evolved over the years into several different models that were very popular at different times. I shot a variety of them and they patterned well. As I recall they were available in several different e.d.s. I could probably look back into the early 2000s and get some information on patterning with the shells that were available then, if that would be of any help.

Thanks,
Clark

p.s. You can send me a PM or email if you'd like for me to look up that information for you.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."