turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Setting up a 20 for my 8 yrs old

Started by EASY, March 16, 2013, 01:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EASY

I've been working on a youth tri star 20 for my 8 year old girl. I think I found a 30 yard set up. What do guys think it is lead 7.5 at 1200 fps?

R AJ

Bingo! They also have 2 3/4 H-7s and 2 3/4 Fed HW 7s for later.
Thanks for introducing a special lady to the sport.
Safety and sportsmanship make for a great day afield with the family.

BandedSpur

Great pattern, but tighter than it needs to be for an 8 y.o. IMO. Lead 7.5s run out of gas at 35 yds, so you are looking at a reasonably close range gun/ammo combo. You could open up the choke a bit to get some more wiggle room for the young shooter and still have a plenty dense pattern. But what you've got will certainly work and won't kick her into next week.

mattbrooks

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 16, 2013, 09:47:36 PM
Great pattern, but tighter than it needs to be for an 8 y.o. IMO. Lead 7.5s run out of gas at 35 yds, so you are looking at a reasonably close range gun/ammo combo. You could open up the choke a bit to get some more wiggle room for the young shooter and still have a plenty dense pattern. But what you've got will certainly work and won't kick her into next week.
X2...I set my 7yr old son up with a 20 gauge with lead #5 and full choke. It'll do the job at 30 yds.

beagler

Guys I don't mean to hijack your thread but I've been considering picking up a 20ga for my seven year old daughter. Been looking around for a Mossberg 510 Mini Field but haven't been able to locate one in my area.
Any other suggestions on a small frame shotgun? The 500 Super Bantaam seem alittle too large for her to handle.
Never Misses

surehuntsalot

don't see no reason those 7-1/2's shouldn't get the job done
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jakesdad

going with 7.5's in my boys Mossberg 510 also.Not going any tighter than standard full,may even back off to modified if the pattern is decent to about 25.Want to provide as much wiggle room as possible without making the pattern too open.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gophert

Quote from: beagler on March 20, 2013, 07:19:30 PM
Guys I don't mean to hijack your thread but I've been considering picking up a 20ga for my seven year old daughter. Been looking around for a Mossberg 510 Mini Field but haven't been able to locate one in my area.
Any other suggestions on a small frame shotgun? The 500 Super Bantaam seem alittle too large for her to handle.

I would suggest getting something she can grow into.  I bought my daughter at age 9 this attached shooting stick (see it on the gun in pic).  It made all the difference in the world. Sorry for the hijack, but I thought this might be helpful.