OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NITRO shells are they worth it?

Started by arrowslanger, March 14, 2013, 08:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowslanger

I was able to get a few from my buddy.  I'm gonna shoot Monday and see how they pattern. 

01Foreman400

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

arrowslanger

870 12 ga 3", 21 barrel, choke is JH .660 with shurshot, shells are NITRO'S 2 1/4 oz mega blend or some type of blend.   If I remember correct, I'm a lil slow been working night shift.....lol

surehuntsalot

way over rated for me
buddy of mine gave me 5 shells for my birthday one year
I went to try them out and see what they would do,after having to knock 3 of them out of my shotgun with a cleaning rod,I said to heck with this crap
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

knightrider

ive never had a problem with them in a pump but i did noticed on the new primos truth movie that almost every versamax jammed with the nitro if you watch carefully they have to hand work the shell out because it causes the $1200 gun to jam, hhmmmmm

hookedspur

I think so ,Well worth it ! The only way I can get any better is to make my own and thats about the same cost ,,,,or a little more at first .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

WVhuntEER

USMC0331

Have not found any other that is close, equal, or better at this time and if there is something that will do better I will certainly buy it when found.

01Foreman400

Quote from: rio_wrangler on March 19, 2013, 11:50:12 AM
Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 15, 2013, 02:38:48 PM
In the 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. load they are definitely worth it.  No other company loads anything like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 1/4 oz loads will pattern better, guaranteed!

Show me some patterns.   

USMC0331

I don't use 10" circle, I use pellets in head method. What combo are you using that is better? If it works better in my 870, I want it if you don't mind giving me the choke and shell combo plus if it saves me money that's even better.Thanks for any help.

01Foreman400

Quote from: rio_wrangler on March 19, 2013, 04:37:06 PM
Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 19, 2013, 04:20:35 PM
Quote from: rio_wrangler on March 19, 2013, 11:50:12 AM
Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 15, 2013, 02:38:48 PM
In the 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. load they are definitely worth it.  No other company loads anything like it.

The 2 1/4 oz loads will pattern better, guaranteed!

Show me some patterns.   

Here you go these are #7s, not my best patterns, but real good. I can show you some 350s in the 10 at 40 yds out of #6s

Nice pattern.  I'll still take mine any day of the week.

gophert

Quote from: rio_wrangler on March 20, 2013, 09:41:46 AM
Quote from: USMC0331 on March 19, 2013, 05:03:05 PM
I don't use 10" circle, I use pellets in head method. What combo are you using that is better? If it works better in my 870, I want it if you don't mind giving me the choke and shell combo plus if it saves me money that's even better.Thanks for any help.

The reason for the 10" circle, and not a turkey head/neck, is that in the real world, a turkey's head/neck isn't ever perfectly still, something is always moving, therefore with a sparse pattern, a turkey could be shot at, and still survive. That being said, I look for a nice dense and even 10" pattern with an even 20" pattern, therefore all error is taken in account for.

As for a combo better than Nitros, hevishot is inherently not uniform is size or shape, and therefore it can effect both patterns and killing energy. This is especially true since nitro is notorious for loading subsized shot (I believe there is another topic very recently on this). While the Nitro patterns look great on paper, they don't have the true knockdown that other shells do, because they can't carry the energy that other shells do.

On the other hand, Winchester EXtd #6s, and Federal HW #7s are a much better option, simply because they are more consistent in size and shape, which first of all will pattern well, and carry more consistent energy downrange, not to mention the HW shot at 15g/cc packs 20% more energy than 12g/cc shot at the same velocity. The key to these is finding your gun/choke combo to go with these shells that works. I would talk to Sumtoy Customs or Rob Roberts for either of these loadings, but especially the Fed HW shells as they seem to have the handle on making the Feds shoot great. As for the Winchester EXtd, most of you high quality chokes will shoot these shells extremely well.

The key here is more consistent size and shape in your shot is going to pattern more consistent and carry more consistent energy, and therefore more consistently kill birds in any situation you are faced with. The only thing better than that, is to handload your own where you know exactly what it going into each shell, and the precision involved, so that everytime you pull the trigger you know what the results should be.

A bunch of truth in this post!

hookedspur

Benelli M2 20ga. Nitro 7s at 40 yds.

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

deerpoo22

Quote from: gophert on March 20, 2013, 12:35:23 PM
Quote from: rio_wrangler on March 20, 2013, 09:41:46 AM
Quote from: USMC0331 on March 19, 2013, 05:03:05 PM

The reason for the 10" circle, and not a turkey head/neck, is that in the real world, a turkey's head/neck isn't ever perfectly still, something is always moving, therefore with a sparse pattern, a turkey could be shot at, and still survive. That being said, I look for a nice dense and even 10" pattern with an even 20" pattern, therefore all error is taken in account for.

As for a combo better than Nitros, hevishot is inherently not uniform is size or shape, and therefore it can effect both patterns and killing energy. This is especially true since nitro is notorious for loading subsized shot (I believe there is another topic very recently on this). While the Nitro patterns look great on paper, they don't have the true knockdown that other shells do, because they can't carry the energy that other shells do.

On the other hand, Winchester EXtd #6s, and Federal HW #7s are a much better option, simply because they are more consistent in size and shape, which first of all will pattern well, and carry more consistent energy downrange, not to mention the HW shot at 15g/cc packs 20% more energy than 12g/cc shot at the same velocity. The key to these is finding your gun/choke combo to go with these shells that works. I would talk to Sumtoy Customs or Rob Roberts for either of these loadings, but especially the Fed HW shells as they seem to have the handle on making the Feds shoot great. As for the Winchester EXtd, most of you high quality chokes will shoot these shells extremely well.

The key here is more consistent size and shape in your shot is going to pattern more consistent and carry more consistent energy, and therefore more consistently kill birds in any situation you are faced with. The only thing better than that, is to handload your own where you know exactly what it going into each shell, and the precision involved, so that everytime you pull the trigger you know what the results should be.

A bunch of truth in this post!
:icon_thumright: Agreed! Alotta truth in that post. But even though nitros may not have the true knockdown power fed's and others have, there isn't one turkey on the face of the this earth thats going to get up and run away with 80+ pellets to the face at 40 yards.