OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stoeger m2000 Jellyhead choke.....how many oz of hevi-shot?

Started by beards-n-bone, March 14, 2013, 11:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beards-n-bone

Shooting this combo and was wondering which hevi-shot load patterned better.  The heavier load or the lighter load?  I know with lead it prefers the 1 3/4 oz loads better than the 2 oz loads...wondering if the same would be true of hevi-shot.  Cant afford to experiment with both.  Thinking of going with straight 6s or 7s.  Thanks!!

SKFOOTER

Xcal1ber

3 Inch or 3.5 inch #7's should do you good. Either one. I would try the 3 inch first though since you said your gun prefers a lighter load.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

SKFOOTER

allaboutshooting

Quote from: beards-n-bone on March 14, 2013, 11:36:21 AM
Shooting this combo and was wondering which hevi-shot load patterned better.  The heavier load or the lighter load?  I know with lead it prefers the 1 3/4 oz loads better than the 2 oz loads...wondering if the same would be true of hevi-shot.  Cant afford to experiment with both.  Thinking of going with straight 6s or 7s.  Thanks!!

The 2 oz. shell and the 1.75 oz. shell are quite different in performance. The 2 oz. is the way to go in my experience. I prefer the #6 shot but either the #6 or #7 will work quite well, properly choked.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

beards-n-bone

Properly choked means ditching the Jellyhead for this??  Also I have heard that the hevi #7's have the same "knockdown" as lead #5's.  Is this true?  Lethal at 50 yards (as long as the pattern is sufficient)?

knightrider

wmd

I started out with the 1 5/8 oz Hevi 6s in my Stoeger with a Jellyhead and consistently got 175-180 in 10" at 40 yds.  I figured if I could get those numbers with that load then a 1.75 oz or 2 oz load would have to be better.  I have found that I average about 20 pellets higher in 10" with either of the heavier payloads but a much denser pattern in the 20" ring.  I think any of the 3 loads = dead turkey at 40 yds and under.  I would probably still be shooting the 1 5/8 oz loads if they were available because the recoil was much easier on the shoulder, neck, and retinas.   :o