OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wind

Started by Gobblehead30, March 13, 2013, 01:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblehead30

It frustrates me when they seem to get spooky and go into stealth mode, plus you can't hear anything.  What do y'all do on these days? 

SouthEastNC

For this reason, I tend not to hunt after a windy or rainy night when they haven't gotten a good night's sleep.

When I do end up in the woods on a foggy or windy morning and they aren't gobbling (or even a perfect bluebird morning when for whatever reason they just don't want to gobble) I'll either go set-up along a road/trail where there's good strut sign, a food-plot that I know they sometimes hang at, or a sandy area where they've been dusting... put out a decoy or 2, call sparingly, and wait till I either have to get to work or am too bored. If it's not a work-day and nothing's happened, 2 hours or so after sunrise I'll start walking the roads.... stop to call every couple hundred yards... getting down at each bend to poke my head around and see if I can spot one who isn't looking my way that I can figure out how to get in front of or try to call back my way.
Go Heels, Go America

guesswho

I hunt it just like any other day.  You can get away with more movement on a windy day, but you lose you ears.  I try to get a visual on them and adjust from there.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Garrett Trentham

Check your fields, especially the leeward sides where the birds can get out of the wind. They like to get out in the open so they can see anything sneaking up on them.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

TauntoHawk

drive around and glass, find a bird and put a plan together. those windy days are tough, a nice light soaking rain I love gets them in the fields and moving in close on them is quiet
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

redleg06

Quote from: guesswho on March 13, 2013, 03:04:10 PM
I hunt it just like any other day.  You can get away with more movement on a windy day, but you lose you ears.  I try to get a visual on them and adjust from there.

I totally agree. 

I hunt NWest Tx quite a bit and in that part of the country the wind is blowing pretty hard more often than not so I just learned to use it to my advantage. It's a lot of open country so we tend to get visuals on birds anyway but windy days help you get a little closer to them without them being able to hear you sneaking up.

I dont particularly like hunting windy days but the turkey are still out there somewhere.... just have to adjust how you go about finding them.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: redleg06 on March 13, 2013, 09:45:02 PM
Quote from: guesswho on March 13, 2013, 03:04:10 PM

I totally agree. 

I hunt NWest Tx quite a bit and in that part of the country the wind is blowing pretty hard more often than not so I just learned to use it to my advantage. It's a lot of open country so we tend to get visuals on birds anyway but windy days help you get a little closer to them without them being able to hear you sneaking up.

I dont particularly like hunting windy days but the turkey are still out there somewhere.... just have to adjust how you go about finding them.

X3 I hunt everyday that is legal! lol probably not gonna get my feel this year, gotta start a new job bout time season starts, and hafta train on 1st shift. Here in va, gotta quit @ 12.

:TrainWreck1: