turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Did some shooting in the poor weather yesterday

Started by ssramage, March 06, 2011, 12:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssramage

I picked up a box of Federals last week and wanted to try them out in my 20 gauge. I managed to get off a few shots in between the rain yesterday afternoon, but the conditions were still horrible and the patterns showed it. I'm expecting them to get a lot better with warmer, better weather coming in.
It was 55 degrees and extremely humid for these shots.

Federal Heavyweights 3" 1.5oz #7s

Hevi-13 3" 1.25oz #6s

I was not very pleased with the results of the Hevi 6s in these conditions. A couple weeks ago I had almost 125 hits at 40.

Either one will kill a turkey but I think the Federals will be my go to shell for this season. If the shot doesn't kill him, the wad will. It hit my target square in the turkey head when I shot it at a turkey target.

spurz

ssramage

It's a NEF Pardner 20 gauge with a Carlson Extra Full Turkey choke

hookedspur

Thats not bad with the feds I cant get them to shoot very well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

headbuster

That's not bad! I too shot some yesterday. 102 with a dirty barrel when I got 150 with a clean barrel in good weather.
Shoot those same shells and chokes in a few weeks and you'll see some big changes!

ssramage

Quote from: headbuster on March 06, 2011, 08:42:13 PM
That's not bad! I too shot some yesterday. 102 with a dirty barrel when I got 150 with a clean barrel in good weather.
Shoot those same shells and chokes in a few weeks and you'll see some big changes!

At $4 a shell I'm not going to worry with shooting them again. The 132 I got in crummy weather is good enough to hunt with so I'm satisfied with knowing it'll get better in warmer weather.

headbuster