OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is enough?

Started by bawana, March 12, 2013, 02:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bawana

We all want at least 200 pellets at forty :z-flirtysmile3: But is there any "gold" standard as far as how much is enough? Likewise how much can or should it vary between lead, hevi and heavyweight shot? And lastly how much does shot size effect the standards?

BrowningGuy88

Enough for me is 100+ in the 10 at 40 every shot.

I stopped at 135 average with the 20 gauge.

I said enough with the 935 at lead. I still have to nail down a good choke for it, but I am breaking 120 every shot with 5's and more with 6's. That is plenty.

If I want more than that the 10 gauge will come out with Mag Blends, HWT 7's or Nitro's.

I am done chasing huge numbers. It is costing too much $$$ that I can use on other hobbies.

archdriver

I would say 90% of all turkeys that I kill are in  the 20-30 yrd  range. If i consider myself a  good  turkey  hunter, I  should  not worry  about the  40  yrd bird.... All  my shells and  choke  are  designed to cleanly shoot  40 yrds  but how  much have I  sacrificed for the  15-20 yrd  bird
that might  present  itself.  it  is  one  thing to draw a  bead on an approaching bird and squeeze  off an easy head  shot,  but the  excitement of a bird  coming in around  you   or  multiple birds coming  in  that limit my  movement argues for a less tight pattern than a  maxi-tight 40 yrd pattern.   

I like  my  tight  patterns, but I  dont  want to go  overboard.
ArchDriver

jakesdad

Quote from: archdriver on March 12, 2013, 03:20:20 PM
I would say 90% of all turkeys that I kill are in  the 20-30 yrd  range. If i consider myself a  good  turkey  hunter, I  should  not worry  about the  40  yrd bird.... All  my shells and  choke  are  designed to cleanly shoot  40 yrds  but how  much have I  sacrificed for the  15-20 yrd  bird
that might  present  itself.  it  is  one  thing to draw a  bead on an approaching bird and squeeze  off an easy head  shot,  but the  excitement of a bird  coming in around  you   or  multiple birds coming  in  that limit my  movement argues for a less tight pattern than a  maxi-tight 40 yrd pattern.   

I like  my  tight  patterns, but I  dont  want to go  overboard.

My feelings exactly.This is why I normally dont pattern a whole lot at 40.I think one time in the last 25 yrs i've killed exactly one bird over/at 40 yds.99% of my hunting takes place in the timber or small fields/clearings.I do however understand the reasoning for guys who hunt fields alot to have tight shooting guns to 40yds or a tad more.I dont want baseball sized patterns at 15-20yds where a lot of my shots are.Good even 10" and 20" killing patterns is what i'm after,and I really think thats what people should strive for more,patterns to match the area/style that they hunt as opposed to a magical 40yd number

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

archdriver

Here is  my  current  setup  and even  this  compromises my own feelings....

I  guess there  are  always  compromises with any  set up.  and  here  I am telling  myself  that
I  can  handle the  close  shot, just  so  I  can  have a  decent  chance  at the stubborn long  bird.

ArchDriver

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I will say one thing about 200 shot 10" patterns that your overall 20" pattern will be more evenly spread out and look overall better than if you put 300 shot or more inside your 10' core. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have shot patterns that had a good 10"-13" core, and then not much else. I have also shot patterns that looked good out to 20".  I prefer the forgiveness of the latter.  He can bob his head all he wants to.  There's no escaping 20" of pellets.

jakesdad

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 12, 2013, 07:44:40 PM
I have shot patterns that had a good 10"-13" core, and then not much else. I have also shot patterns that looked good out to 20".  I prefer the forgiveness of the latter.  He can bob his head all he wants to.  There's no escaping 20" of pellets.

Thats what I'm talkin about!!!I'd rather have a little fringe on my pattern to compensate for the bob and weave head than a pattern that will completely remove a head off a bird............IFyou hit it!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Snoody Bastid

Thats what I'm talkin about!!!I'd rather have a little fringe on my pattern to compensate for the bob and weave head than a pattern that will completely remove a head off a bird............IFyou hit it!!!
[/quote]

^That pretty much sums it up for me right there..