Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

This tactic worked today-henned up, Pic added

Started by deadbuck, March 10, 2013, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

Took my son on the Mississippi youth hunt today and while driving down the road in huge open hardwoods saw a strutting gobbler with 4 hens about 100 yards away. Turned around and went back to get in front of them about 300-400 yards away. Did the usual hen calling and a hen replied once from about 200 yards away. Had my son blow his Hale Fire gobble call a couple times and the gobbler left his hens and came silently strutting in. His problem was the woods were wide open and he stuck out like the proverbial turd in punchbowl. Walked up in our lap and magblend took him down. I have tried this before with no luck using a primos and other brand shaker gobble calls. They are garbage compared to the hale fire. My 12 year old son has called in 3 toms with it in less than a year. It is hard to learn how to blow but if you can master it you will be glad!

El Pavo Grande

SouthEastNC

Go Heels, Go America

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Congrats to you and your son. Sounds like you got him started in the right direction...

birdyhunter

Pics or it didn't happen!! ;D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Ded Goblr

That's a great read. Love to have seen it. Warms my heart to read about a 12 yo gobble calling a tom to the gun. He'll remeber these times with his dad for the rest of his life, just as I remember so many great hunting and fishing adventures I had with my dad. I'm 57 and my fondest memories are those times. DG

870FaceLift

Pass it on...

deadbuck

Pic added. He killed 2 longbeards the first 2 days of youth season and I have 0. It is just as much fun for me to sit beside him and watch it go down explaining to him why it is happening like it is. He is now taking his bow to try and get 3rd Tom from a ground blind.

captin_hook

870FaceLift

Pass it on...

Spring_Woods

Nice change up in tactics. I like hearing off-the-cuff strategies. You just never know what them birds are gonna do next. :D
Congrats on a great hunt!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

alloutdoors

turkey_slayer

bigthunderchicken

Thats almost exactly how i killed one monday. except i was using a primos gobble shaker.
Chase