OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Striker for Slate

Started by cntrlPAlngbrds, March 07, 2013, 01:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cntrlPAlngbrds

What is your favorite type of striker (generally or specifically) for using on plain slate?

I have been using the primos triple 7 striker for several years, and want to see about getting something a little better.

REBELYELL

It hards to be a good hickory or purpleheart stick, but I also like dogwood, persminnon and black locust. I have an apitung striker on the way from Harold Fowler. He told me it sounded good on slate.

bornagain64

lightsoutcalls

The sound a given striker produces on a given surface will be different on pots made by different callmakers.  I had to read that twice to make sure I understood what I just said...

That said, recommendations are generalizations based on the experience of the contributor. 

I like osage, pecan (very similar to hickory), persimmon, padauk, canarywood, bubinga, rosewood, tulipwood, bocote...  There are lots of good sounding woods for strikers on slate.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

paboxcall

Hard to beat soft purrs on slate.

I like walnut and osage personally.

:icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mudhen

One of the 5-6 I carry all the time  :)

I honestly don't have a favorite striker, they all sound different, especially with slate, so I own just a few strikers.

But given all the possible weather conditions, I like to have a laminated striker with me at all times....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Longbeardfever4ever

If I plan on running a slate call in the woods, I'll have a dymonwood, a purpleheart, and a hard maple.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

hunter22

My favorite strikers on a slate surface are persimmon, dogwood, and wild plum.

PALongspur

My absolute favorite striker is an old Lightning Strike made by Ted Peters. I have both the birch and the oak, I prefer the birch.

Gobblerstopper

I made a lacewood for a guy that was here the other day for his slate call and he wanted 5 more of them to go with the other slates he ordered. We both liked it. I've always been a fan of wenge, canarywood and paduak.

jblackburn

Hickory, red oak, and persimmon
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

savduck

Tough to beat hickory on slate. Blood wood is a close second.
Georgia Boy

captin_hook

Quote from: savduck on March 07, 2013, 10:29:31 PM
Tough to beat hickory on slate. Blood wood is a close second.
I'm a hickory type of guy on just about any playing surface.

WildTigerTrout

If forced to choose one striker for slate it would be hickory.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

magnoliagamecalls

My favorite is a Hickory with a flared tip