turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What striker to try on cherry?

Started by MiamiE, March 07, 2013, 08:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiE

I have a cherry slate over glass call that I'd like to try some different strikers on. Right now I have a cedar, mahogany, and hickory striker. I'd like to add a few more to my collection.

letinmfly

Maple, Canarywood, Dymondwood all work very well.  Heck I'd get one of each if I were you.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

TnTurk

Cut*N*Run

padauk, osage, and bubinga are three of my favorites.

VanHelden Game Calls

On the thicker slates I would add a cherry as well.  Heck I think you should just add strikers, if it doesn't work on one you may love it on another.  If you hear a name of a wood you don't have a striker of add it  :z-guntootsmiley:  Cheapest new call you will find.

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on March 07, 2013, 09:29:56 AM
If you here a name of a wood you don't have a striker of add it  :z-guntootsmiley:

Words to live by  :icon_thumright:

paboxcall

Slate over glass, I like a walnut striker or osage striker.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Steve

Cherry strikers are one of my favorites...I'd just make the striker to match the call.

pappy

what you should do is go to the local Woodcraft or something similar and buy up every different piece of wood they got, start turning out strikers and play with them, till you find what you like. I have around twenty strikers, and each one hits the slate good, and if I had it my way I would get twenty more...have fun...that is what it is about, enjoy your search.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

BowBendr

I have a cherry slate over glass that plays its best with a cherry striker from the same batch of wood.

zkid09

i dont have a cherry pot so i cannot say for sure, but i really like an oak striker i got m mr lonnie sneed.
the cherry striker works very well also and i have a green diamondwood that adds more rasp to it. just depends what your looking for!

for soft calling, i really like my primos cuttin striker. its not very raspy though. so many good options!

s-s

my go to striker is dymalux as far as i know its about the same as d.ymondwood. made the right way it will play on any thing. but it all comes down to what mr. long beard wants so always carry back ups 

magnoliagamecalls

Day in and Day out cant beat a good Hickory striker. I like it on any surface

Cut*N*Run

As usual, Pappy's onto it. Build yourself an army of strikers. If you can't turn them out on a lathe, just buy a bunch of striker tops and tips and make some 2 piece strikers yourself. A site like brookside game calls will have everything you need. You can grab a whole bunch of different materials and really play around with different combinations and dimensions. Who knows- the best striker for that call may be a padauk tip with a corn cob top that is just waiting for you to make it.

A bunch of those with a few one piece customs thrown in and you can go from a few strikers to an arsenal quick and on the cheap.

MiamiE

Thanks for the tips. I also have one if them aluminum Yella Hammers so I ordered a Dymondwood, Osage, Purpleheart, and Persimmon to add to the Hickory and Bloodwood I already have.