Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Didn't get to pattern the Hevi Shot, but son did shoot

Started by sugarray, March 05, 2011, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Well it was windy all day today and I didn't get to pattern the Hevi Shot, but my son finally shot after I put the Knoxx stock on it.  He seemed pleased and said it didn't hurt.  I finally got him to admit it did a little after the 4th shot.  First shot missed a full beer can, second shot hit it.  Then we shot at a turkey head target and again first shot missed high and right, the second shot was just a little bit high.  Death to turkey, but not consistent yet.  He is more comfortable shooting though, this was my plan.   FORGOT, THIS WAS AT 20 YDS.

hookedspur

Nice , I see several in the brain . Great job !!! But you are allowed to shoot at empty ones as well.l :=)
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Well, I don't drink and FIL says he found some in an old desk.  I just think he will get more out of watching one explode after hitting a full one.  I have a 12 pack of Aldi pop ready, just forgot it at home.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

sugarray

Old beer can.  My FIL found it years ago and just kept it, about 9 cans in the box.  Mix and match.  Figure they will blow good with a load of shot, next time I'll shake it up first.  Also, have a 12 pack of pop ready to be shot up too.  Figure with the visual reinforcement right away he will want to keep shooting.  I've got to know how far he can shoot.

whiskey

Last year I took my daughter out to shoot her turkey gun for the first time, well the first time with 3" turkey loads. I fired it first and because the stock was so short, my thumb came back and hit me in the nose, knocked my glasses crooked and half knocked my muffs off my head. She starts in on the, "I ain't shootin' that thing". Well, I did get her to shoot it a couple times and got it sighted in. During the season we had a setup on the back side of a hill and I called up a big double beard gobbler, but the hen with him coaxed him away before he cleared the thicket and she couldn't get a shot. I stood up to move our set up just as two big jakes topped the hill. My daughter was sitting against a small tree with her feet uphill and I was telling her "shoot, shoot, shoot" as the jakes were spooking off. She fired, missing high, and the recoil rolled her for a flip down the hill, backwards. We were both laughing so hard that she didn't even get upset about missing. We called it a day and I let her drive my new truck around the fields. Without a doubt, one of my best days hunting. These are the memories you have to look forward to.