turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

watkins vs gresser

Started by mebe007, March 06, 2013, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mebe007

this is a tough one. whos calls do you prefer and why? I know they are both great call makers and they both come in at different price points. one is a little more than i would like to spend, kind of out of budget but is it worth the wait or would one be happy with either?

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mebe007

please explain. they both seem to make really nice calls.

scoot12

Mark,  If you want a longbox that sounds great and easy to play I just received a Billy Bush beggin machine and its awesome.  Its $165 tyd and comes with a great leather holster.  If you research this longbox a lot of guys love it.  I love mine for sure.  Scoot

paboxcall

Quote from: scoot12 on March 06, 2013, 09:26:33 PM
Mark,  If you want a longbox that sounds great and easy to play I just received a Billy Bush beggin machine and its awesome.  Its $165 tyd and comes with a great leather holster.  If you research this longbox a lot of guys love it.  I love mine for sure.  Scoot

:agreed:

Awesome box.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

dreis3

I have a long box from gresser that I don't really care for... I also have a fiddle paddle from marlin that I like more than the gresser but wouldn't say I love it. I also have long boxes from ss, shadetree, Jeff McKamey (twisting creek), billy bush, Tim bullock, and bob harwell. I'd grab my McKamey first and then the bush... They're both very user friendly. Got away from the question a bit, but if I had to pick between marlin and gresser, I'd go with marlin. I can make my box from him sound good, but not like he did over the phone; he made it sound incredible
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

mebe007

they are just the main 2 people I am talking with. I am also talking with bob fulcher and al at S&S. Problem is finding one to accommodate my needs as i burned alot of time where i could have been a wait list of a good caller screwing around with another maker who did not deliver as promised. I want the best I can get for the money without breaking the bank. MArlins Call would be at the top of my budget, well a little beyond, but i will do whats necessary. i really dont want to be like now wishing i had done something else and stuck.

West Augusta

Make a wish list of callmakers. 
Call each of them and have them run calls for you.  They all will.
Choose by the sound you like.  You might just find a callmaker that has one or two that don't have
a home yet.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

paboxcall

Quote from: West Augusta on March 07, 2013, 07:55:36 AM
Make a wish list of callmakers. 
Call each of them and have them run calls for you.  They all will.
Choose by the sound you like.  You might just find a callmaker that has one or two that don't have
a home yet.

Good point Steve.  Callmaker may have a call where the original customer backed out or canceled the order.......the OP could decide on a callmaker after hearing the different boxes and post a WTB ad here.  Someone may have a Watkins or Bush lying around waiting for a good home.

John
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mebe007

well got a call on the way from marlin, now maybe ill get one from larry soon enough as well.