OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sighting in a red dot question

Started by bpbowhunter, March 05, 2011, 09:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpbowhunter

I just ordered a Bushnell TRS-25 for my Rem. 870 SM and have a few questions before I start the process of sighting it in. What would be the proper starting distance to start the sighting in process. 10, 15 or 20 yards? After I have it zero'd at this starting distance, do I go back to 40 yards or do you slowly move out in smaller increments? I'm really new to this whole red dot scope thing so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I thought there used to be a great thread on this subject, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Again thanks for your input.

Brian

paladin

Start at 15 with big paper and cheap shells.
Shoot one  at a small aimpoint and mark the center of pattern.
If you have a vise, put the dot on the original aimpoint and adjust it until it is on the center of the pattern.
Move to 25 and repeat. You should not need any or much adjustment.
Move to 40 and use your turkey shells.
find the center of the pattern and adjust as needed.
I use a 10" plexiglass with a 3" center hole.
"have gun-will travel"

paladin

If you don't have a vise start at 20.
shoot, find center of pattern, measure inches to aimpoint, mutiply times 5 and adjust that number of moa

example  5 inches low at 20 yards.
5x5= 25 moa.
1 click is 1/4 moa so 4x25 clicks or 100 clicks.
some scopes may be 1/2 moa per click.
"have gun-will travel"

hookedspur

I do it bout the same my first shot will be close enough that what ever shells I'm using will just knock a hole in the paper where my dot or cross hair is.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkeytromp

Hello, New to sighting in one of these red dots, I have the tru glo red dot halo sope, Say if it shoots lower than the poa do I go up with the red dot adjustment and if shooting left of the poa I go right on the click adjustment?? Just want to be shure before sighting in.

Reloader

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 17, 2011, 05:42:59 PM
Hello, New to sighting in one of these red dots, I have the tru glo red dot halo sope, Say if it shoots lower than the poa do I go up with the red dot adjustment and if shooting left of the poa I go right on the click adjustment?? Just want to be shure before sighting in.

Yes, you move it the way the up arrow points to go up and the way the rt or lft arrow points to go left or right.

LeviSS

A bore sighter will save a lot of time and pain, especially in the long run when you own several guns.  I just bought one and really like it...wish I would have had one sooner.

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

Snoody Bastid

Quote from: LeviSS on March 17, 2011, 06:47:57 PM
A bore sighter will save a lot of time and pain, especially in the long run when you own several guns.  I just bought one and really like it...wish I would have had one sooner.
I bought a magnetic one from Cabelas years ago. Best thing I ever did. It's a life saver.(and ammo saver, and shoulder saver,and..)

bigrnyrs

I agree. I start at 20 yards and will shoot 4 or 5 cheap "dove" shells and aim at the exact same point. This should knock a hole out of the center of the pattern. Locker down. I do not have a vise but I have a doc's bull bag. I get it aimed at the original aim point and use bungees to secure it. Then move the dot from the point of aim to the center of the hole. Back out to 40, put a 3" orange sticker in the muddle and shoot a turkey shell. Most of the time your are good but if not, put a second sticker in the center of the pattern, lock the gun back down and repeat the POI/POA. I normally do not have to use a lot of my turkey shells. Good luck.

archery1

i would start at 10 or 15 yds max.. dont want to waste more shells than u have to.. then get the center of pattern in the middle by moving l or r an up an down on ur scope.. hope you have a good time shootin today it is beautiful up here in pa  over 70 degrees...come on turkey season!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

mnbeardbuster

The old site had a sticky for this with some great pics of the process.